Head of Security Application - Scarlett
Usual character name: Scarlett Hynes, Diana Radium
BYOND username: ThatScarlett
Discord username (if you are on our discord): ThatScarlett#1210

Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: non-security on 1, security on lowpop/medpop 3 o 4

Reason for application: I look forward to continue playing security, and would like being able to be a HoS or NTSC, continuing to show new security players the ropes of security and how the department works.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I started playing security about a year ago, on goon RP as an assistant, at the time I was afraid of trying out security because of the direct contact it has with antagonists and how I'd interact with them. I was quite new to the game and didn't know much about how RP rounds went as I played mostly classic at the time, during the first month or so in security I mostly watched officers and other security members to learn how security worked. I don't remember much of when I started playing, but soon I got to be an officer. After that, I used to be a security main for... 5 or 6 months? During this time I played with some other security regulars, and I had quite some fun goofying around in the department, but also learned what makes someone a solid security member. It's not just about being there for the crew when they need, but knowing how to use your tools effectively, how to handle antagonists, to investigate and most importantly judging a situation the best you can. Sometimes it can be frustrating when a round's antagonists are all being loud, it's in these times that having a communicative, organized and acknowledged security members helps a lot. Having a HoS helps, but a well-coordinated team can go far without one. At the current time I don't play security as often as I'd play some months ago, playing so much security was quite tiring and I took some time to look at other parts of the game, to look at the other departments and find fun in them. I usually play 1 or 2 security shifts per day and I enjoy having the same fun I had some months ago, even though sometimes I need to cryo and radio to the rest of security that I may not come back for the rest of the shift, or telling the rest of security that I'm taking a locker nap in security.

During my time playing security I've come across many players, in many maps, with different situations and different pops... Saw officers get promoted to HoS, saw other players I hadn't seen in some time, saw new players getting teached by those players I knew. Security, despite not being a main department for me anymore, has a special place in my heart for all the interactions I've had and people I met while playing it, and I hope other people get the same joy from playing it as I did in the past, and do now.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Don't be too hard with antagonists when they're building their gimmicks. It's very easy to arrest someone you see with certain traitor item and immediately confiscate it and throw them in the brig without trying to let them have their roleplay moment. Talk to them, let them give an explanation on what they have or what they're doing, roll with their gimmick. That doesn't mean to let them kill you, or to let them kill a crewmember, but if the antagonists are getting their gimmicks shut down even before they could start them, where's the fun? 
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) One round as traitor I decided to run a Syndicate pod pilot gimmick, where I asked the station on radio for a quantity of money transferred to certain account, in exchange for lack of conflict. The captain spoke quick and decided to not have a deal, after that I went and destroyed some outer airlocks and windows and asked if they would re-consider the deal, after another no, my character accepted that they wouldn't take it and continued the destruction. After some minutes a security pod engaged mine and we exchanged fire until my pod broke and I shot security's one with a SPES-12, later killing the officer. Without a pod, I decided to continue the destruction. After some minutes another officer showed up and we had another fight, they ended up getting shot as I had a jetpack and was in space, then throwing them away into a direction. Not long after that, the shuttle arrived as I watched the crew from outside of it, kind of just menacingly standing outside of the windows, as the silicons bolted the airlocks and the shuttle departed to Central Command. I liked the conflict in the round between me and security, even though we didn't talk much outside of the radio.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? Space Law book editing. It's been a while since I played security assistant, but last time I played the book suggested... Weird advice for security. Such as major crimes being listed as maximum 15 minutes brig time. Having a space law book with details on how to use the security equipment on top of minor and major crimes + maximum sentence adjustment would be nice for new security players.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. When playing with other security members I try being active on radio, telling when I'm responding to a situation, if all is okay on my side of things, if I'm staying at the desk, delivering information to a security officer that just arrived, giving details after talked to a witness or suspect of something. When I'm on a chase with someone who's only running I try whistleing some times before trying to use a flash or taser, unless they're firing something or have harmed someone. Overall when able to talk I will, then move to arrest.
    When playing security alone I still radio frequently if there's a captain or AI, if not, I won't as there won't be anyone else to use the information. As a solo officer the crew and AI are the major source of information regarding an antagonist, I do what I can to make sure the crew is safe and try patrolling more than staying at the desk, asking on general frequency if all is alright, reminding the crew to send a report on radio or PDA if in need of security assistance. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    What is the chef cooking?
    Sounds like deep-frier
    The staff assistant thought, while looking
    Ah, it's a Lawbringer

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? Clown security assistant was a fun gimmick for me, still doing what a security assistant would do but mostly staying at the desk and making jokes on radio and with other security members and crew.
  • Draw a picture!
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None
scarlett is cool, good-natured, and despite their insistence has actually put in a ton of security rounds both en total and since their last app. often have seen them handling security events in the rounds on 4 since then, fairly, efficiently, and with an eye to keeping things inclusive and interesting. highly recommend them.
Ive had many positive interactions with scarlett, seen them work plenty of sec. They are allways great to have on the team, they are inclusive and treat the crimers good. Keeping the round interesting and engageing. They get a whole +1.
scarlett is a super solid officer that I would often use as an example to others in how to act while on duty. As long as I could remember them being around they've always been a good communicator, effective at executing plans and over all just a good person to be around.
Frankly, Scarlett is one of those players who fits into security so well you assume they're a veteran. I honestly thought she already had HoS. I've had nothing but great experiences with her, and I think she deserves HOS. +1
Scarlet has been a mainstay in sec for a LONG time that I can recall. I've seen them come a long way in that time and would agree that she's a competent and fun officer, who knows how to balance antag/sec interactions and generally make the round better for everyone involved. Communicative, effective, fun, and inclusive. I'd be delighted to see them in the red beret.
The few times I managed to catch Scarlett on 3, they're quite fun to be around and very fair with their judgements. She also gives off a strong aura of competence, I honestly thought she was a head of security already when I saw her. +1
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.