Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DNR Status in Medical Record
I'd find it really useful if I had some way of detecting DNR status other than attempting to clone them via the cloner. As an avid user of strange reagent, I'd like to see that the person I'm attempting to revive will explode if I try. It's quite a pain when I use up a large amount of my medicines only to see that my efforts have splatted on the medbay's walls. My first idea to see if someone had DNR set is if we had some sort of note in the medical records systems that would display if they were DNR or not.
I am surprised this ain't a thing.
This should absolutely be a thing - if doctors can tell if a brain is live or dead for putting someone into a cyborg, being able to detect DNR doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
Agreed, someone setting DNR shouldn't come as a surprise to doctors.
I'm still new to medical stuff, especially medical record things, but considering that science can also make strange reagent maybe this could be implemented into the health analyzer instead? It's already able to detect brain damage, why not let it also detect "Irreversible brain damage"
(02-02-2023, 09:16 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: I'm still new to medical stuff, especially medical record things, but considering that science can also make strange reagent maybe this could be implemented into the health analyzer instead? It's already able to detect brain damage, why not let it also detect "Irreversible brain damage"
This would be fine too - sticking this ability on one of the health analyzer upgrades or upgraded prodocs would be good in my book.

As a non-medic player, I don't know how often the crew interacts with the medical records, but my suspicion is "not a lot." If detecting DNR requires that doctors interact with a feature that is sorely underutilized, I fear the result will not be that more people interact with the medical records, but that instead nobody will know if a player is DNR until after a failed attempt at revival or cloning. Still, having any way of knowing if DNR is set is better than none.
(02-03-2023, 05:42 AM)RelentlessGarbage Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 09:16 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: I'm still new to medical stuff, especially medical record things, but considering that science can also make strange reagent maybe this could be implemented into the health analyzer instead? It's already able to detect brain damage, why not let it also detect "Irreversible brain damage"
This would be fine too - sticking this ability on one of the health analyzer upgrades or upgraded prodocs would be good in my book.

As a non-medic player, I don't know how often the crew interacts with the medical records, but my suspicion is "not a lot." If detecting DNR requires that doctors interact with a feature that is sorely underutilized, I fear the result will not be that more people interact with the medical records, but that instead nobody will know if a player is DNR until after a failed attempt at revival or cloning. Still, having any way of knowing if DNR is set is better than none.
Doctors should already be checking a dead person's medical record due to puritanism needing preparations for cloning and puritans not working at all with strange reagent. Plus, in my opinion, science shouldn't need to see if someone is DNR since it's not their job to revive dead crewmembers, that's medical's. Science may also accidentally gib the person due to them being unable to check for puritan.
Wouldn't someone with DNR have a slimy brain ?
(02-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: Wouldn't someone with DNR have a slimy brain ?

While I don’t know if that’s how it works, the issue with that (if it is how it works) is you can’t tell the difference between a logged out player and a DNR ones. Sometimes a logged out player will log into their body too so it’d be helpful to tell if they have a chance of coming back or not.
Hm... I just thought of an issue with this. DNR is connected to your player rather than your body. So it would break if you had your DNA swapped via mutagen or genetics. I think the solution would be a special brain inspection for DNR. Maybe a fried brain or something?