Wayne's HoS application

Usual character name: Wayne Durstine

BYOND username: PowerfulXtian
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Xtian#5702
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 1

Reason for application:

I've been noticing on the hours that I play that the HoS seat is mostly vacant, for some time I've been having anxiety of applying because I always felt I wasn't good enough. But I feel like I should just give it a shot before jumping to conclusions.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I first started playing Goonstation around November 2021, at that time I was still a beginner and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. But at the time, (like everyone else) a role stuck out to me, and that role being Security Officer. After learning the controls and how to not smack myself with shoes, I started playing security. However, at the time I still didn't know the spirit and culture of Goonstation. So most of my rounds would be aimlessly wandering around, not paying attention to the radio at all, and a "Busting" botany for making drugs which may be the one good thing I did, except that the drugs were actually weed and I was depriving the station from their weed supply. But overtime and with the help of a few Security Officers, mainly a HoS that told me that communication and looking at the radio was the key, I actually started enjoying security and busting criminals and being your typical security, though I had a lot of room for improvement. However, around I think April 2022, I took a long break from Goonstation, because of school assignments. Coming back at around November, I got really into Goonstation again, and dusted off my military boots for a second shot at security. And honestly, it been pretty fun. But more importantly I developed/learned this lesson that Security shouldn't be a powerhouse of justice. But rather to just maximize the round's fun for everyone by giving antagonists someone to worry about and at the same time letting antagonists go and seeing just what kind of shenanigans they can get into before the shuttle is called. Now, I sit with a comfortable grasp of Goonstation, I believe that although I'm not the best, I am certainly not the worst.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?

Although I have lots of advice for new and older security players, there are two main things I usually stick to and use as both advice and when I play security myself.

Firstly, be a chill security! Give the antagonists of the round a chance to cause chaos within the round and make it more interesting. Time and time again, I've seen antagonists be executed at roundstart for the simple crime of being an antagonist or killing one person. While yes, they should be killed before they kill you. If it's only 15 minutes and an antagonist has been caught, just take away any antagonist gear the have and brig them for a bit. No need for killing at all. I'm sure everyone on goonstation when they press the "Declare Ready" button they all want to be an antagonist, so why should you ruin someone else's fun when they barely did anything to even make the round more interesting and chaotic. I'm sure you wouldn't want the same to happen to you when you're antagonist, so why are you doing it to them? Of course, when the antagonists stirred up a bit of chaos and are on a rampage or killed a decent amount of people then definitely go hog wild.

Secondly, it's seen everywhere but overlooked by many. Communicating is a big factor in determining if you're going to be picked off one by one in pure silence or if the entire security team knows of an antagonist's presence. Communication is key to success... Literally! Security radio should not be crickets, you should always update your team on the important stuff, such as if you're going to medbay for healing or you're going to deal with a drunken bar fight. Some fellow security officers may even join you if they have nothing better to do if they pay attention to the radio. When you pop in from cryo, ask for the status of the round and if you see someone asking, just give them a quick briefing. Because now you have a security officer who knows exactly what's going on instead of being oblivious to an abomination at the bridge. 

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    Man, this story makes me chuckle remembering it.

It's a perfectly normal round, but then a certian Joanne Milding slips me and facefarts me. I politely ask her to apologize, however she refuses. So I do what any normal person would do and detain her. But this is no ordinary detainment. I took her to one of the solitary cells and demanded an apology, to which then she refuses again. So I went nuts on my M1 and swirlied her to hell and back. During this, demanding an apology for facefarting me and Joanne continuing to decline. After a bit I let Joanne go, but without an apology. To this day I still yearn for her apology for facefarting me.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Ohhh god I really regret not taking poetry now.

Clown, clown go away,
    Come back to sec another day,
    Clown, clown go away,
    Please come honk another day!

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I've always wanted to run a securai gimmick. Just parade around the station with the samurai and bringing an end to crime with honor and beauty. I've tried this gimmick using the hidden workshop, but for certain reasons it not working out in the end.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
1 day ban for griefing  (Flashed the HoP for AA as a nonantag)
10 minute ban using an autoclicker
Honnestly a good sec teammate commincates well and is fun to play against as antag.
Wayne is an excellent dude, nice to everyone including antags, always brigs fairly and always communicating on the radio. Cant +1 enough

(03-01-2023, 08:37 AM)NanoDano Wrote: Wayne is an excellent dude, nice to everyone including antags, always brigs fairly and always communicating on the radio. Cant +1 enough

And i just remembered im not supposed to reply with my own app open, well good luck wayne
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of community response. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be 2023-07-04. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!