Mentor App- eggcereal (Litol Guy, Aiden Caster)
Usual character name: Litol Guy, Aiden Caster, Random name sometimes
BYOND username: eggcereal
Discord username (if you are on our discord): quince#4423
Recommended by (if applicable): Munien
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 & 4 (a 4 regular for the most part)
Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

Although I've only been playing since March 2022, to say this game has enthralled me like no other is an understatement. I have over 2000 hours clocked in the rp servers and try to spend most of it making sure that people in the round are having as much fun as possible. Recently, I've been random naming in roles I see a lot of new people in to see if i can give them a good head start in a department, and have been asked several times if I'm willing to play another shift just to walk someone through power set up- which has led me here, to making an application.  I want to give people the positive and engaging experiences that hooked me onto the game. I know mentorship isn't the only way to do this, so if this doesn't get accepted then oh well- but I feel like this would allow me more ways to help and the ability to help more people.

Much of my experience is centered around Engineering, Medical, Science, and Botany.

I know how to set up the TEG, Singularity, Catalytic Generators, and the Nuclear engine. I understand how they generate power, and in the game try to guide people in ways where they don't just have to memorize a setup. I know how the Harmonic Siphon works, and love showing people when I get the chance to.

I have a good understanding of both the basics and more advanced parts of Robotics and Genetics, have played a good deal of Medical doctor, and know how to make the more advanced chemicals. I think Medical is a really good beginner's job, where you have enough down time to learn, get used to controls, and plus you have a really easy premise to start rping.

I spend a good deal of time in Research nowadays, and have been slowly picking up the best ways not to die in artlab. I know how DWAINE works and take a great deal of time to watch how other people run the lab.

Botany is one of the introductory jobs that I love dearly and know a great deal of but I still am learning more about constantly. I can splice and infuse with the best of them, and try to pass this info along to anyone who asks.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None as far as I know!
Quincy has quickly become a regular of the RP community and in the time they've been here I've watched them grow, learn, and teach with an incredibly kind, friendly, and helpful attitude. I've witnessed them on MANY occasions teaching things that they've learned to new and old players alike, often also offering in post-round ooc or in the discord to help teach people new departments or game mechanics. I have personally experienced their teaching on several occasions in botany and engineering, they even went from me helping them understand the TEG to now showing me how to improve on things without any sense of superiority or anything, they were just happy to share the knowledge back.
I think they have a fantastic attitude and willingness to help others, as well as a great knowledge of the game, and truly think they'd make an excellent addition to the mentor team.
Egg (Caster) has been around on Goon four for a good while now, and is always a joy to see. I can certainly speak to their engineering experience, and I have witnessed them helping folks in many different areas such as engineering, mining, game mechanics and just general directions around the station. I recently mentioned that as a player, I have never once rolled botany, and he offered to walk me through and show me ropes should I ever decide to try it, just because I mentioned it.

Their biggest strength is their attitude in approach to helping and RP...it is one of the most patient and helpful approaches I have seen in some time. Any round on four which they join, the round is that much better due to their presence. Strong +1, give ol' Caster the purple!
Egg has proven to be a friendly face in the community  who I can always count on when it comes to any issues revolving around engineering, especially the engine. They took the time out of their rounds to help me figure out the TEG several times, and was always patient in explaining the concepts involved to me. Even as random named characters or characters which they wouldn't know I was playing- they were eager to help with or explain anything on the spot.

I can certainly recommend them for the position, as they clearly have both the knowledge and attitude required for mentorship.
+1
Quincy is very friendly and generally good at teaching. They're generally a positive presence in the community on discord, and are fun to interact with in game, although I do worry, as a friend of theirs, that they cling a bit too much to people they already know OOC out of anxiety, and need to branch out a little more in respects to new players and learn not to be as timid of newer faces. I'd probably say a +0.5 or maybe hesitant +1. They have some things they could work on, but in general I think they'd make a good Mentor, + I know applications take a while, and I trust them to take this advice well.  Sleeping bee
(01-28-2023, 10:22 AM)LuciliusMothboy Wrote: Quincy is very friendly and generally good at teaching. They're generally a positive presence in the community on discord, and are fun to interact with in game, although I do worry, as a friend of theirs, that they cling a bit too much to people they already know OOC out of anxiety, and need to branch out a little more in respects to new players and learn not to be as timid of newer faces. I'd probably say a +0.5 or maybe hesitant +1. They have some things they could work on, but in general I think they'd make a good Mentor, + I know applications take a while, and I trust them to take this advice well.  Sleeping bee

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! I understand the concern, I don't like imposing advice on anyone who don't seem to want it. It feels a bit like backseating to me, OOC knowing someone makes it easier to tell when help is being requested.
The idea of mhelps and appearing to people as a little mouse when they ask for it takes the anxiety out of a large portion of it. Especially if I'm playing a job that wouldn't have the required knowledge to help. o7 I will keep this in mind going forward. It's something I'll continue to work on for sure.
+0.5 from me, I think. quincy is very respectful, friendly, and kind, and also has some good know-how from almost every department. I don't doubt that he'd be able to guide people through things well, but I do think there's some areas for improvement before I'd personally give him the full +1

what I'd like to see is a bit more initiative casually offering help to people, I suppose. it's absolutely good not to impose with your help - allowing people to learn at the paces and in the styles they like is a key part of effective mentoring - but I get the sense that you overcorrect sometimes, and leave people to their own devices if they don't take the initiative in asking for help. nothing wrong with tossing someone a little "hey, everything going alright?" if they seem lost! being a new player in a game like this can come with anxieties about experienced players judging you, especially if they're in crowds, so helping break that ice can be a nice skill for a mentor to have
I've played a lot of rounds with Quincy, and they've always been very kind and eager to help. I do share some of the same concerns as Luca, but since those have already been addressed I wont rehash them. Additionally, I can say from experience that Quincy is a very good teacher (Having learned three departments from him). Overall, Quincy is a great player, a great teacher, and while not perfect, I think shows great potential as a mentor. +1
I agree with Waffle. I think Quincy would do just fine as a mentor as I've seen them (and personally been taught) teach people around the station about stuff like engineering and whatnot. They're a nice person and overall a positive impact on the community. I do however think that I'd like to see them offer help to people in the questions channel in the discord and such. There isn't anything wrong with spending time with your friends but it is important that the courtesy of teaching people is extended to everyone and a larger effort could be made to really 'get out there' and help.

Despite some small things I know quincy would make an excellent mentor, they've got my full support. bee
In my early days when I was still trying to get out of my shell and started trying to be less shy, Aiden Caster was a wonderful person to be around. Friendly, respectful and very kind, I can confidently say that they would make an excellent teacher. I can also add that I know Aiden's an excellent roboticist and I've seen him do great in engineering roles. Seeing as he's branched out even more from those roles. I certainly believe that he would be a great help to many as a mentor.
During both playing and observing I've seen Egg being very helpful in multiple departments, beingpatient and eager to help if someone comes up to them. I did notice the aforementioned things happening and i do think its something that would benefit from some more openness towards newer players, but in my view this is certainly not a deal breaker, especially given your own response, the reason for it happening, and the ooc nature of mhelps/mentormicing. It's a fine line between helping and backseating, but in my view you are absolutely capable enough to walk that line well, i just think you need to have a little more confidence in your own abilities regarding this. Believe in the me that believes in you! Overall, great characters to see around, a boon to the playerbase, and in my opinion a good addition to the stinky purple pocket-farters. +1
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a mentor. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our Mentor Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.