Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Several musical ideas
Thanks for your interest in the musical instruments system. I'll just put my thoughts here on a few of the ideas, as someone who's pretty passionate about the subject.

For playable bike horns, while they do have randomly varying pitches, bike horns aren't really built as a pitched instrument to begin with. What'd make a little more sense would be a keyboard synthesiser that used honks as samples; but for it to sound like a half-decent instrument throughout the entire range, we'd need a lot of honk samples at many different pitches. Either that, or we'll have to be okay with pitching the one sample up and down and just living with the crust.

The percussion instruments have been nagging at me since we've started taking efforts to re-do the interfaces, yeah. I've got a few ideas kicking around in the noggin as to how we can make them better, hopefully they'll come to fruition.

More instruments are definitely on the way, as are ongoing efforts to modernise the pitched ones we've already got. SgtManGuy and Mr.Moriarity worked on some sousaphone sprites that I've been procrastinating on turning into an actual instrument due to all the audio editing I'd have to do.

Oh, by the way, the samples from Philharmonia in the UK are very nice but the licensing situation is still, to my eyes, a little bit suspect. I'm personally not entirely sure the samples that we're using from them currently (the tambourine uses their samples I believe) are allowed to be in the game. For more info, hit up Grokberg for the email correspondence we had with 'em.

Messages In This Thread
Several musical ideas - by Mantwerp - 01-21-2023, 01:25 PM
RE: Several musical ideas - by Flaborized - 01-21-2023, 03:01 PM
RE: Several musical ideas - by DisturbHerb - 01-24-2023, 05:33 AM
RE: Several musical ideas - by Mouse - 01-25-2023, 12:24 PM
RE: Several musical ideas - by DisturbHerb - 01-30-2023, 12:21 AM
RE: Several musical ideas - by Mouse - 01-30-2023, 05:21 AM
RE: Several musical ideas - by Mantwerp - 01-30-2023, 08:30 AM
RE: Several musical ideas - by DisturbHerb - 02-01-2023, 08:25 AM