Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Apocalypse (Gamemode)
Based on how sometimes Admins decide to infect people with necrovirus for the fun of it.

1-2 Traitors based on population
2-4 Patient Zero's based on Population

If you're selected as a patient zero, You will have give or take 5-10 minutes to get what you need to set up before the Necrovirus enters your body. From that point on, you're a zombie (duh)

Pros:
Another team antag gamemode that can encourage fun stories and dramatic events
The traitors can subvert sec into just thinking its a normal round, which makes the inevitable zombies much more surprising
People love when admins do necrovirus

Cons:
Sec tends to instantly kill any zombies they see (I would too)
Can't think of a win condition which would lead to super early or super late shuttles
Hmmm not a bad idea for a game mode/antag mode.
You can also just make different diseases and patient zero's.

I can see this possibly expand from "Zombie virus"
to "Mutant virus" to "Whatever virus."

It could be like Gangs where the point is to spread the virus to others but having rival viruses to fight eachother as an extra mode ontop.

So mode 1:
-Traitors and Infected. (2 different antags still, but Traitors can get infected or help crew)

Mode 2:
- Battle of the Hiveminds. (3 different strains of viruses spreading across the station for hivemind supremecy!)

Mode 3:
- Containment (1 patient zero (who doesn't know they are, they are immune), but multiplue other diseases spread around to cause dismay and chaos. While there is 1 necro virus it won't be named that. TREAT ANY SICK TO AVOID A ZOMBIE APOCLYPSE!)

Yea.. that seems like enough variaty!
It'd be interesting to see what's normally just an admin-only thing get turned into a real game mode. That said, a proper win condition (like what's seen with Revolution or Nuclear Ops) seems important, else things might stretch out for a while. In my (limited) experience with what the admins do with Necro Virus, a bunch of people are randomly infected (with little to no direct warning) at some point in the round and allowed to turn. After nearly everyone or everyone on the station has been turned, you see Nanotrasen send in a team of heavily-armed operatives to put down all of the zombies, before having them escape on the shuttle.

Maybe it could be a timed thing, where the "Infection" wins if over 80% of the population is turned by or before the 30 minute mark, or if all human crewmembers on the station's Z-Level are zombies at any point. If all zombies are eradicated or sent off the station's Z-Level, the crew wins. If 30 minutes have passed and neither condition has been reached, a CentComm alert will be sent out declaring the detection of an "Infestation of Necrotic Entities" on the station, which will be dealt with by armed operatives. A pool of 4-10 ghosts  will be offered the chance to respawn as "Nanotrasen Reclamation Operatives," and they will be spawned on arrivals shuttle with medical supplies and a TON of gun, with the goal of killing all of the zombies and saving any remaining crew. If a win condition isn't reached by 50 minutes in, the shuttle would be called to recall the operatives, and a brawl at the escape wing could then commence. This would keep an upper limit on the length of the rounds, and the time limits for the easier win condition for the infected gives some extra urgency to the zombies.

Only problem I see is where you get dead people from to play as the operatives if people who die are mostly being transformed into zombies. (Also might lead to "operative fishing," with zombies killing themselves to try and become operatives. Who knows.) Also, perhaps having an alternate means of staving off the infection other than the current method of Styptic injections (not topical application, as far as I understand) would allow for crewmembers to stave off the infection a little more easily. Robustissin and Spaceacillin seem like fair candidates.

(Personally, since I don't like Revolution OR Nuclear Ops, I'm not super enthusiastic about this idea in general, but I can definitely see the appeal. It'd be cool to see something more formal be done with the Necro Virus in general, even if that doesn't translate to a mode that shows up in the normal pool.)
I would love a zombie apocalypse mode, especially if it was a replacement for revs, because zombies are just better revolutionaries. Why? Zombies can't use genetics consoles. Also I love the idea of there being some traitors amongst a pack of survivors, maybe you could add items specific to a zombie gamemode for traitors, like a zombie disguise, or a cheap but effective machete designed for killing zombies. There's a lot of fun experimental stuff to try out with a gamemode like this. I really hope a coder picks up on some cool game mechanics for this.
(01-21-2023, 07:39 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Mode 2:
- Battle of the Hiveminds. (3 different strains of viruses spreading across the station for hivemind supremecy!)

That seems interesting, though to feel like viruses there needs to be more than just 'become hivemind', like maybe a team-wide genetic mutation or special buff like gang uniforms. That way people have an idea of what's going on before everyone gets drafted into gang warfare

Also, there should be a medical way to cure the opposing viruses and infect them with your own. Maybe an immunization-____ gene after being cured so medbay can also curb the tide of these guys. (Just imagine going up to the genebooth and seeing Immunization-Sussyimposter)

About a zombie apocalype, what if instead of like blob where you're blobified after 5 minutes of the prompt, you have a syringe you can either poke yerself with or someone else with aid from a sleepypen you scavenge? Lets you also have more control if you're a more public-facing role at the time.
(01-21-2023, 12:57 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: About a zombie apocalype, what if instead of like blob where you're blobified after 5 minutes of the prompt, you have a syringe you can either poke yerself with or someone else with aid from a sleepypen you scavenge? Lets you also have more control if you're a more public-facing role at the time.

The blob thing is /tg/ only, But i feel it'd make alot more sense thematically for you to just suddenly turn. Would make things alot more funny
(01-21-2023, 09:24 PM)Jackary Wrote: The blob thing is /tg/ only, But i feel it'd make alot more sense thematically for you to just suddenly turn. Would make things alot more funny

Ah damn, thought I saw a youtube video of someone doing that on goonstation. Haven't been a blob yet (cause i don't wanna)

Dunno if it'd be more funny, since it depends on when it happens and how much forewarning you have. Like, if you're sec and turn surrounded by your buddies that'd be a very short antag round. Though, asking the chef to make brain food as you turn might be a funny bit before you bite them