Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lavender Extract should have a positive impact on Hygiene
Literally just what it says in the title. It wasn't mentioned if the lavender extract buff had any non-cosmetic effects in the patch notes, but given that lavender is traditionally used in soaps, has a generally amenable/pleasant smell, and the existing buff for lavender extract is called "Fragrance," I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity for the buff not to influence hygiene in a positive way. Maybe have it slow or stop hygiene loss while the buff is active? (I don't even play on RP, this idea just jumped out at me as soon as I read the patch notes.)

It'd also be funny if it cancelled out the effects of any traits or buffs that make you smell worse for it's duration (e.g. Bad Breath), as another little flavor thing.
While working on these with Flourish I requested that Lavender Essence/Oil etc had no effect on hygeine because I liked the idea of there being a visual representation of you trying to mask how stinky you are (stinky lines particle effect and "fragrant" particle effect). It's a cosmetic/flavour status mostly ig?

Though saying that I also want to (hopefully) make this chem be an ingredient in some kind of soap that botany could make, cause I think that'd be a fun alternative to other ways you can increase hygeine Sleeping bee

(also editing to add that if consensus is that folks would rather the chem just increased hygeine im not against it either tbh, just that it wasnt the Intention ehe)
(01-20-2023, 06:01 AM)walpvrgis Wrote: While working on these with Flourish I requested that Lavender Essence/Oil etc had no effect on hygeine because I liked the idea of there being a visual representation of you trying to mask how stinky you are (stinky lines particle effect and "fragrant" particle effect). It's a cosmetic/flavour status mostly ig?

Though saying that I also want to (hopefully) make this chem be an ingredient in some kind of soap that botany could make, cause I think that'd be a fun alternative to other ways you can increase hygeine Sleeping bee

(also editing to add that if consensus is that folks would rather the chem just increased hygeine im not against it either tbh, just that it wasnt the Intention ehe)

That makes some sense. Hygiene is mostly a cosmetic thing, though, so if you are able to use lavender extract in a more advanced recipe, like soap, perhaps that soap should have some other kind of non-RP buff associated with it if you use it while bathing. (Applying cleanse or refreshed buffs? Getting rid of certain minor debuffs? Who knows.)

While I'm a fan of new botany content, having some non-aesthetic uses for the new plants - however small they might be - could incentivize people to play around with them or try out gimmicks using them. I'm guilty of sticking to growing only "meta" plants in botany, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying the other plants if there was a cool application for them, even if that application is just "you can make soap, which can clean you better and make things slippery" or "you can make potpourri and scatter it on the floor, slightly countering miasma, adding color, and annoying the janitors."
craftable soap with flower oils would be a whole new world of hygiene
NEW GIMMICK! PERFUME CLOWN!
Will just spray everything with perfume and smells.

BEWARE PEOPLE WITH ALLERGIES! These smells might trigger them!
Also people with any enhanced form of smell or sense will be stunned for 2 seconds due to overwhelming.

Jokes aside.. As someone with sensative ears and a sensative nose.
Perfumes and smells make my nose itch, my eyes water and makes me want to sneeze when I can't.
It's a very unpleasant expirence when somoene has a strong perfume... and can lead to headaches (or nose aches in my sense)