Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Word Filter(Returns?)
I remember a while back there was a word filter that auto-kicked anyone who tried to say blacklisted words. What I'm wondering is, why was this removed?

I mean, I don't want to give people a reason to be careless, but after browsing the unban threads it seems a lot of bans, and hence admin time (Not that admins actually have personal lives...), seem to be related to biggoted or offensive language of some point. So why not just re-implement the word filter with all the classically awful slangs pre-loaded and save some time and maybe effort?

Maybe if someone manages to get the boot twice in a single round they get an automatic hour ban or something? I dunno. Opinions? Yes? No? Potentially but what if...

Do it.
The problem with an automated system is that it can't ask questions. It could be kicking/banning people for misconceptions. I say no.
The only word filter I liked was the one that made alarm sounds and muted you if you used anime faces. That one I would love to have back.
You could have it only kick people the absolute most clear-cut cases, like if the string " faggot " or some such crops up in chat. Maybe have it notify the admin IRC but not kick if words that end in "fag " crop up, then anything more complex than that leave it to players to adminhelp. Perhaps have their character emit a custom emote like "Bigot McShittalk stops what he's doing, stunned in realisation at what he's just said."
Well, when I hear people say things like that I usually tell them that its a real bad idea to use those words, sometimes having to repeat the word to them so that they understand what they did wrong.
I guess having something auto tell them then that would probably make more of an impact than having a player tell them not to.
But I remember an admin saying that they specifically made it so that it didn't auto ban them so that they can deal with them personally.
Klayboxx Wrote:The only word filter I liked was the one that made alarm sounds and muted you if you used anime faces. That one I would love to have back.

Holy fuck please do this again, humiliating pubbie weebs stirs a hearty laugh within me
Byond Key: Charles Worthington III
Date of Ban: 1/1/2014-1/5/2014
Specified Reason for Ban: You have been banned. Reason: Charles Worthington III asks, "Evening guv, 'ow much for a packet of fags 'round this neck of the woods?" Banned By: AmericaBot40k
Admiral jimbob Wrote:Byond Key: Charles Worthington III
Specified Reason for Ban: You have been banned. Reason: Charles Worthington III asks, "Evening guv, 'ow much for a packet of fags 'round this neck of the woods?" Banned By: AmericaBot40k
Sorry we only speak english around here. Not britbonglish.
KikiMofo Wrote:
Admiral jimbob Wrote:Byond Key: Charles Worthington III
Sorry we only speak 'MURICAN around here. Not britbonglish.

Fixed that for you.
Anyway I don't mean to bash, but admiral has a valid point.

I do like the idea of adding back in the anime smily alarm. It will piss of weebs, and admins won't have to ban them for using it all the time, because they can't.
having a word filter for anything anybody could reasonably say is dumb

I remember some dude got banned because he was drunk in game so "nice" came out "Nnigge", and that was from an actual human. Leaving bans up to a robot is dumb as fuck.

but since there's no way to accidentally pull out an anime smiley and the people who use them tend to be fucking idiots that I would not have a problem with that. The only thing is I haven't seen anybody use one in ages so I'm not sure what purpose that would actually serve
admins should be able to read unfiltered text so they can understand what that swedish chavvish retard is trying to say
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:admins should be able to read unfiltered text so they can understand what that swedish chavvish retard is trying to say

If they can't already, this is a good idea.
The return of the word filter, not so much.
Clarks Wrote:
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:admins should be able to read unfiltered text so they can understand what that swedish chavvish retard is trying to say

If they can't already, this is a good idea.
The return of the word filter, not so much.
Pretty sure they can. I think I've seen someone get banned because they were hiding bad words behind being drunk thinking the admin wouldn't notice.
Actually I don't think they do, they just know what people are trying to say because it's not too hard to memorize what letters change into what.
I remember being able to see unfiltered speech from being tempmin a while ago but this could be entirely imaginary