Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nerf mechboots
In practice, mechboots are cool. But as somebody who has played security hunting rampages with mechboots, an antag against trigger happy miners, and everything in-between, they just don't work well. Having the job most known for validhunting/rampages get a boost to said capabilities feels extreme at best. 

The most comparable item in terms of speed is methamphetamine, which has a crippling addiction, really high brain damage, and recipe that takes a hot minute as counter-balancing. Miners can get mechboots by minute 7-8 with some asteroid field luck, and what is the downside of using mechboots? Bar slipping on puddles, nothing! No long term-brain damage, no addiction to deal with. 

As such, I propose that mechboots only work in space. This way, miners still get the speedy getaway from explosive ores that they claim they need mechboots for (you don't really if you're paying attention) without having haha funni speed item. Miners having mechboots isn't just unnecessary, it encourages the uptick of "miners are better sec" mentality that's been seen on classic ever since I've started playing.
Quote: Having the job most known for validhunting/rampages get a boost to said capabilities feels extreme at best.

What
(01-16-2023, 01:43 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Quote: Having the job most known for validhunting/rampages get a boost to said capabilities feels extreme at best.

What

At least from what I have seen, out of all the non-security crewmembers hunting down and killing antags, miners are at the top. Perhaps "known" was the wrong word here, my evidence is anecdotal, and not commonly accepted.
(01-16-2023, 01:48 PM)George_Manning Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 01:43 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:

What

At least from what I have seen, out of all the non-security crewmembers hunting down and killing antags, miners are at the top. Perhaps "known" was the wrong word here, my evidence is anecdotal, and not commonly accepted.
I somewhat commonly see miners make spears and use mechboots to hunt antags. I wouldnt mind making them only work in space, or make them use power cells.
Miners valid hunting is a thing on classic and rp. Its not a huge thing but it is a thing. Alot of fights I've had had 1 or 2 .kners with 10 laser guns show up shoot the antag/sec by accident then run away.

That said i dont think its a problem. I just think mechboots shouldn't work inside. Or should have minisub controls
Leave mechboots as is, but if you run into a wall at full speed, you get a knockdown and some brain damage.
Uhm... disabling mechboots inside if rooms would surely make engineers be pulled in by singulo setups on some maps. I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

On the other hand, making them battery fueled sounds like a good idea. Maybe in a way a strong self-charging custom power cell would suffice to make them powered indefinetly. There are too few incentives to make custom power cells/potato power cells anyway.
i disagree, the boots and armor are your reward for doing the mindless grunt work nobody else wants to do
(01-16-2023, 10:37 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Uhm... disabling mechboots inside if rooms would surely make engineers be pulled in by singulo setups on some maps. I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

not to worry, those are magboots. mechboots are the ones you can make from the mining fabricator that make you go so fast
Making mechboots deal damage when walking into walls would remove the most beneficial effect it has on miners (increased mining hit speed because you can run into walls faster) and limiting mechboots to space would make them useless in the trench. I propose making mechboots only work on asteroid and trench tiles.
(01-17-2023, 01:56 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 10:37 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Uhm... disabling mechboots inside if rooms would surely make engineers be pulled in by singulo setups on some maps. I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

not to worry, those are magboots. mechboots are the ones you can make from the mining fabricator that make you go so fast

Ohhhh, i was throwing then together, thanks for the clarification. I was the tine thinkig "is slip/space push immunity that much of a problem?" But with the speed i can kinda understand it.
I seen miners almost NEVER valid hunt on RP. Most of them are doing own stuff or starting Cargonia.
It's rare.

On Classic, I wouldn't know... never seen Miners Valid hunt, but I can imagine it being annoying considering they can make spears and be much faster.

THAT SAID.. nerfing mech boots will also nerf Antags who want to use them as well.
So that said... what do we do about them?

Well Validhunting is 100% illegal on RP, so Ahelp that shit. If a miner runs in and starts stabbing someone with contraband... Ahelp em.

As for on Classic I don't know... mech boots are obtained swiftly by skilled miners, but newbies will struggle to find the right stuff.
In my opinion the only way to nerf em is while you don't slip and fall, if you slip you slip long and out of control and if you hit a wall or object you crash into them, dealing damage to yourself.
This would be equal to slipping up the flash with a banana peel. They will recover and not trip, but they stil keep the speed till they can stop and if they hit a wall.. OUCH.
my experience in 1 is that miners can fairly consistently do their job, blitz it and end up with mechboots then get bored and wander/validhunt. i dont think the boots are a huge issue though.

never really heard of miners being better than sec, if you look past mechboots their gear isnt really that great besides their tools doing some pretty high damage
Have to be toggled on with a self charging battery that drains maybe
I think mechboots are balanced and don't need change. Each boot gives you different buff so there is tradeoff.