Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Validhunting, Supercops, and You
It's been iterated in this thread a lot already, but I'll do think that antag type, what an antag has done, and the context of a round are all the driving forces behind the decision to either kill an antag, confiscate their gear, brig them, or a number of other punishments. I also do think that a lot of players, particularly those on classic, who do not play security often misunderstand just how 'heavy' a hand is needed against certain antag types/behaviours.

I, personally, when I play HoS, will always try and look at a number of things like "What antag type is this person, can I handle said antag type, are they planning something big, have they already killed/gibbed anyone".

Here are a couple of examples:

If someone is a traitor and they call in a surplus kit and are caught at the 5-15 minute mark? Give them an eyebrow wiggle, a ticket, and tell them to move on. I won't typically take their gear.

However, if someone is an Arcfiend, and may not have actually *killed* anyone yet, but has assaulted a number of people/been draining power, I will have a much heavier hand when dealing with them. Usually an execution/borging. I personally know that I am not able to deal with Arcfiends, and that's already without them really having the ball rolling with an excess of points. This is due to their easy-to-use stuns, my poor ping, and the penchant they have for being able to decimate a room of 3 or so people by themselves.

When it comes down to it, it's all about what the officer knows they can handle and what they can't, imo. At least for our HoS players. I do think that people who find that security are 'too harsh' have valid criticisms (because sometimes they can be, I have noticed a few of our newer security seem to want to instantly arrest at the mention of a traitor 3 minutes in), but should also expose themselves to the security side of things by learning the role and playing as many rounds as they feel up to. It really is a totally different world to the other jobs on station and is an eye-opening experience.
I agree fully. quite sometime ago I used to be very prone to wanting to chase them the second they acted up. Funnily enough though? If the archfiend isn't violent and stays out of upload and the bridge I tend to kitten glove them. I'm far more likely to be harsh towards a ling because they can so rapidly ramp in power the second they're out of view. they don't even nee to be evil. they just need to be first to the scene of an accident.