Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
change random event antag spawns to be based on dead players instead of dead antags
Benefits include, but are not limited to:

1.  General chaos.  The worse it gets, the worse it gets.
2.  Gets people back in the game, since apparently player population is super important or something.
3.  Provides an additional complication to murderhobos and antag teamups, which tend to annoy a pretty significant portion of the playerbase.  I mean sure, you can go and wipe the entire station as wizards in under 20 minutes, but if suddenly wolves and wraiths and blobs are spawning in things are gonna get a bit nastier for you.
4.  Comedy.

Downsides include, but are not limited to:

1.  Stuff.
2.  Things.
I'd say that the downside is that added chaos. If people start dying for any reason (antags going on a tear, a random event catching a bunch of unfortunate crew off guard, general crew incompetence), I could see things snowballing into shuttle votes very quickly from the sheer amount of shit going down. And while I know there's a bit of an allergy towards longer rounds on Classic, not everyone loves short rounds, especially the people trying to get a wacky higher-effort shenanigan working by the end of the shift (sometimes that's a crew member, sometimes it's an antag doing a gimmick).

The current choice to limit antag spawns by the number of antags that are currently alive seems like a measure to keep a certain low-level amount of chaos at all times, so that you don't end up situations where there are no antags at all and people are asking "hey, who turned on extended?" But having it be based on the number of dead people feels like it'd lead to more rounds ending with antag-filled shuttles, which don't end up being very fun for most of the non-antag players (since they're most likely dead and have no chance of escaping even if they do manage to live to the end of their shift).

Granted, getting dead players doing something interesting is important to keeping them around, but perhaps that means we should re-evaluate and improve or tweak the ghost player options we already have rather than just throwing more dead, possibly salty people into antag roles.

All that said, this seems like a feature that could be tested pretty easily. Enable it for a day or so on Heisenbee and see how things turn out.
Now that I think of it...
This will start this mentality.

"I didn't roll antag, I'll die so I can respawn as antag"

Insted of respawning as a crewmate that "might" be a late join antag or sleeper agent or blob/flock mind.
Unless I'm mistaken currently they're based on both dead antags and dead players. Iirc basically the event triggers if there are too few antags or too many dress people.

EDIT: Yep. On classic it triggers if less than 10% of original antags are alive or if more than 30% of crew is dead. On RP the 10% is replaced by 4%.
Sure but the problem is, oftentimes the first ones to die are the antags. All too often I see the same names at the end of the round on multiple antag rolls. Would be good if the priority was given to those who haven't already been an antag at least once during the shift.
(01-15-2023, 06:53 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Now that I think of it...
This will start this mentality.

"I didn't roll antag, I'll die so I can respawn as antag"

Insted of respawning as a crewmate that "might" be a late join antag or sleeper agent or blob/flock mind.

it's pretty easy for admins to recognize those patterns of behaviors and confront people about that which as i understand is how they're so quick to catch ban evaders