Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYER ITEM TO CHANGE OBJECT STYLE
Lightbulb 
PLAYER-ACCESSIBLE ITEM TO CHANGE OBJECT STYLES

Hello. I would like to purpose a change that I feel would massively improve the game, especially for engineers. As you might know, there is an object in the game called the Floor & Wall Designer. This item is a utility that quite frankly, is the backbone for customization of the station and it's improvements. From creating a mechanical chapel for a robot-loving priest to a saloon based bar, this item makes it that much more immersive while accessible to change what is typically a standard wall or floor. However, there is a important feature that I feel is missing. A way to change the styles of various objects with variant textures. Things like closets, chairs, stools and more have variants that are present in the game yet unable to be crafted by, or hard to come-by for players. Typically players will not bother, and a room made to feel like a department centered aesthetic will look like every other improvement or build. To be perfectly honest, it makes improving the station kind of uninteresting to some. It may be a secondary role, but since the engineer fills the roles of the former construction worker and mechanic, an argument could be made that after repairs and maintenance, their job is to improve the station now that the other two roles no longer exist. It makes sense for it to be the case too, even after mechanic was merged into engineer, it still feels a bit lacking until damage is done. Sometimes, there are quiet hours, and thus this is important.

The addition of an object, mechanic or other form of way to get an item to look a certain way would add to the engineers catalogue quite a bit. The rage-cage builders could make a medical section for when one is fallen and have it look like it belongs, the expanders could design entirely new department rooms, the improvers could add to the station while fitting with the designs that are already there. As it stands, the only way to get these variants is through luck or theft, making other areas look empty. Have your mind wander for a moment on the possibilities with some control over textures that are already there, like the Floor & Wall Designer. This would be the next step into making engineers into a more interesting role that makes each game feel even more different.

If it is possible, this is an addition that should be considered. The implementation could be changed, but at the end of the day, a way to get the textures you need is something I see as a step up from what we have. I see no reason why it could not work in conjunction with the Floor & Wall Designer. Thank you for your time, I will be keeping an eye here to respond to any questions or concerns.
To clarify some things.

First, construction has always been Engineer's job. The construction worker was removed precisely because it convinced people that engineers shouldn't be constructing stuff.

Second, the floor and wall designer sucks eggs. It makes a visual mess of the station and needs some serious rebalancing/rework to stop people from remotely making a meat-mess of everywhere. It isn't a good basis for any suggestion, because it's a problematic item.

Third, most alternate "cool" styles for things are rare because they are rewards for going and getting them. They are hard to come by precisely BECAUSE they are cool.
(01-11-2023, 01:09 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: To clarify some things.

First, construction has always been Engineer's job. The construction worker was removed precisely because it convinced people that engineers shouldn't be constructing stuff.

Second, the floor and wall designer sucks eggs. It makes a visual mess of the station and needs some serious rebalancing/rework to stop people from remotely making a meat-mess of everywhere. It isn't a good basis for any suggestion, because it's a problematic item.

Third, most alternate "cool" styles for things are rare because they are rewards for going and getting them. They are hard to come by precisely BECAUSE they are cool.

I understand the first point. The second point I will have to disagree partly, there is some misuse of the item, however it does more good than bad in my eyes when done right. There are some people who make a mess with it, I know that, but it is a good tool. I think it's options should be more limited to things that fit with the theme of the station, but that is a totally different suggestion. Thirdly cool styles for things as a reward seems more-so about rarity rather than the focus of items desired to be added. Department based lockers and chairs are not exactly something I think is worth going on a quest for. Like the second point, it would be limited. You couldn't make exotic items or rewards, but common items that honestly should have been able to be made. I feel as I could have worded this better, but the point was never to have all of everything to be up for grabs. Having a few options to make things not stick out like a sore thumb was the goal. As I said, implementation could be different, maybe you could order department furnishing crates. However, the current system for getting them seems random and not the best it could be.

Thanks for your thoughts, I hope I did not come off as rude. I always fear I am doing that when I respond/debate.
In my opinion the floor and wall designer should be like the old "marker" tool.
You decide wich design you go for but someone has to PAINT IT or SUCH.
Thus creating more work for engineers to do to finish it.

It would fix the two problems with it.
The "meat spam" and "Taking away urgency for engineers"

Downside?
It takes longer to redecorate a place.
(01-11-2023, 06:49 AM)Kotlol Wrote: In my opinion the floor and wall designer should be like the old "marker" tool.
You decide wich design you go for but someone has to PAINT IT or SUCH.
Thus creating more work for engineers to do to finish it.

It would fix the two problems with it.
The "meat spam" and "Taking away urgency for engineers"

Downside?
It takes longer to redecorate a place.

As a bartender who commonly redecorates the bar, i would absolutely hate this. Then again i made a thread recently because building/renovatibg is already tedious as heck.

A restriction to not going through walls and an obvious thing like a 0.25 second action bar would already do so much to keep the item at bay.
Fairr. I guess having to actually TOUCH with the designer and having an action bar. (With engineering able to use multiplue at once) will deter alot.
crazy idea - put the floor/wall designer in the CE's office. should keep it out the hands of all but the most determined staff assistants and reduces the gross spam it mostly gets used for.
(01-11-2023, 08:55 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Fairr. I guess having to actually TOUCH with the designer and having an action bar. (With engineering able to use multiplue at once) will deter alot.

The problem with touch is orientation of tiles. Certain tiles (e.g  carpets) will be placed differently depending on the orientation of you in regards to the tile. And in rooms with much stuff in it (eg the bar) you have tables, walls and machines in the way you would need to deconstruct first.

Uf we had a system where you could choose the orientation beforehand (i believe sone tg codebases got it) we would be talking. At that point we are at a full TGUI rework of the wall and floor designer, though