Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map
(06-27-2023, 11:42 AM)OldPotato Wrote: Well, making terrestrial map is possible with tools that are available, some technical issues with the turf setup but nothing super advanced to fix.
I could make this map ready-to-play but after that someone else who knows more about coding would need to change couple of things to make this ideal map.

The outside turf needs to be unsimulated simply because if the outside gets flooded it will probably lag server into oblivion and this type of turf solves that since you cannot build on those and it cannot contain any liquid and also has stable atmos that never changes, not to mention it cannot be damaged, (some pros and cons but for ease of avoiding problems it is my best solution for now).

In IDEAL world when simulated tile gets damaged (usually blown up by some goon) it would create an abyss tile (like the ice moon one*) and when stepped on will throw you into an ice cave* that you have to get out of using ladders scattered in cave corners (they will take you to the specific rooms on station level with same ladders), that idea is optional since it will require making new prefab area just for this map, and the blown tiles could just flood with water or merge of two ideas with chance to create abyss tile with like 20% chance instead of water one (reason being there is frozen ocean below planet, there has to be some excuse to use trench anyway since space one doesn't make sense).

There are some other things to talk about like way fences will work and that will also require some changes in code, way outside maint works and other lil things.
As i mentioned above, I could make this ready-to-play and then maybe make map files public for some coders to play with.
Question is: Is it worth making this map in first place and putting time and effort into this.
If not, ehh, food for thought i guess.

Here is a current map setup (a rather rough version but it visualizes idea well):
[Image: 2023-06-27_20.47.49.png]
The layout looks great also I'm interested to see what the listening post will look like

Messages In This Thread
A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by DisturbHerb - 01-11-2023, 12:37 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by mralexs - 01-11-2023, 08:10 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Kotlol - 01-11-2023, 08:59 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by mralexs - 01-11-2023, 07:26 PM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Kotlol - 01-12-2023, 05:36 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by aft2001 - 01-11-2023, 09:43 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Thebutler - 06-27-2023, 02:05 PM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Arlian - 07-01-2023, 03:28 AM