Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map
I'm quite aware that active submissions for new maps are currently not being solicited, this thread's here just to grab some dev opinions with the hope that someone would be interested in backing such a project in the near future. As of writing, none of the ideas set forth in this thread have been manifested and are subject to change.

I'm not alone in thinking a terrestrial map would be a cool idea; there's been sufficient demand for something filling that niche for a good while and Tselabok - while ultimately falling flat - was a pretty good example of that.

In line with our current trend of producing Space Station 13 maps that aren't actually in space, a terrestrial environment offers a great deal of opportunities that could be explored to create something truly unique; stuff like, among others:
  • Day-night cycles with tangible effects on the environment
  • Funky environmental elements to play with such as weather, geological features, a unique biosphere, and artificial structures
  • New possibilities for station designs that aren't just a big spiderwebby looking thing sprawling out (for example, an installation made up of smaller dispersed buildings connected by footpaths or roads rather than pressurised/sealed halls)
  • Not gonna lie, I want a snow map specifically just so I can give everyone adorable little parkas and snowshoes for wandering outside

Yeah, not gonna lie, the process of making a brand new map in an entirely new environment with unique mechanics in sufficient quantity to produce a niche that would get that map accepted into rotation is gonna be a significant effort. I'd be completely understanding if the development team isn't willing to stake themselves on such an undertaking. However, I earnestly think that there'd be significant support from the community - in both actual contributions and in wanting the map in the game - if we got the ball rolling, and there's the potential to create something great. 

This game's a labour of love, after all. We could make something with the magnitude of Oshan if we put ourselves to it.

Messages In This Thread
A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by DisturbHerb - 01-11-2023, 12:37 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by mralexs - 01-11-2023, 08:10 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Kotlol - 01-11-2023, 08:59 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by mralexs - 01-11-2023, 07:26 PM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Kotlol - 01-12-2023, 05:36 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by aft2001 - 01-11-2023, 09:43 AM
RE: A Proposal for a Terrestrial Map - by Arlian - 07-01-2023, 03:28 AM