Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintance Shaft access inconstiencies
We of Goonstation have many station to preform our duties... but there has been one thing bugging me a lot!

On station A: Civlians and such can go into maintance shafts.

On station B: They can't.

This has made me wonder what's the point maintance acces? Why do we still have it if on some stations those without maintance acces can enter anyway.
And then on another those who don't might get trapped in them?

At this point i am not sure if it's a bug or not, but it's defintally annoying in some places. Especially during Rad storms when you are DENIED maintance acces. (though this hasn't happened yet)

What do you guys think? Should we just remove maintance acces from the list and give it to every standard ID or should we keep the inconstinency? Or Should every map just be fixed with the right acces?
(01-06-2023, 11:47 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Especially during Rad storms when you are DENIED maintance acces. (though this hasn't happened yet)

In the little message warning you of the rad storm incoming (the same one with the amount of time to get into maint), it says that “all maintenance access levels have been cleared” or something similar.

In short, there’s a reason that hasn’t happened, it’s already thought of!
If anything I wish maintenance access was rarer. Make it a bit more special as a hidden area, especially as a place for antags to do their evil with less chance to be interrupted. Engineers and maybe security make sense, but I think it would be better if by and large other jobs would need to hack or follow folks into maint to get there.
(01-06-2023, 12:02 PM)George_Manning Wrote: In the little message warning you of the rad storm incoming (the same one with the amount of time to get into maint), it says that “all maintenance access levels have been cleared” or something similar.

In short, there’s a reason that hasn’t happened, it’s already thought of!

My dumb ass never read that XD

Quote:Posted by saccharineChampion 

If anything I wish maintenance access was rarer. Make it a bit more special as a hidden area, especially as a place for antags to do their evil with less chance to be interrupted. Engineers and maybe security make sense, but I think it would be better if by and large other jobs would need to hack or follow folks into maint to get there.

I agree with this... but this half half stuff is really annoying. Cause sometimes i want to maintance dive for artifacts as a scientist.
Sometimes I can't cause im locked out, other times I can go into every shaft.

It makes sense for the maintance shaft doors to work for the section they are in.
Civs for civ maintance, Science for theirs and such.

But at the same time I am like: "Everyone already uses it anyway on most stations." Wich is why I started this debate.
It seems weird botany and ranchers and cargo and miners habe it. Doctors make sense cause they have to tend to the injured
For botany/rancher it's their best source of space fungus for getting the scaling of the endurance stat started.
With respect to Botanists, maintenance access is useful both for space fungus and in order to access certain locales, like the catering pod bay on some maps, more easily. I guess neither ranchers nor botanists need this degree of access, but it can make their lives easier. (It also makes them much more liable to dying horribly in maintenance, and who doesn't love that?)

I can't personally say I've experienced much of a problem with maintenance access, although I admittedly stick to playing two roles at most, and I don't have any experience with the game's low-population maps. I guess it is a bit weird that Staff Assistants get it, if you're thinking of them as people who are supposed to be getting people with "real jobs" coffee and lending a helping-hand. But I'd be fine with staffies keeping their maintenance access and just increasing parity in what having maintenance access means between maps.
(01-06-2023, 12:20 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: If anything I wish maintenance access was rarer. Make it a bit more special as a hidden area, especially as a place for antags to do their evil with less chance to be interrupted. Engineers and maybe security make sense, but I think it would be better if by and large other jobs would need to hack or follow folks into maint to get there.

I've thought it would be neat if maintenance was designed more like this, where there's intended points of access for people whose job it would be to use those areas, and then things like grates or vent covers others could use to enter them.

Sort of the difference between backroom hallways and utility rooms