Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Have sterile masks block miasma
Saw this idea a while ago and I really liked it
My opinion pn this is pretty simple: ake care of the corpses or face the consequences.

Besides, the PR that tried it made sterile masks act like gas masks (block all gassed chems) which is far too overpoweted.
(01-05-2023, 10:42 PM)NanoDano Wrote: Saw this idea a while ago and I really liked it

This was already merged for a short time but due to issue above was quickly unmerged
(01-06-2023, 03:58 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: My opinion pn this is pretty simple: ake care of the corpses or face the consequences.

Besides, the PR that tried it made sterile masks act like gas masks (block all gassed chems) which is far too overpoweted.

Was there no way to have them only block miasma?
(01-06-2023, 10:06 AM)NanoDano Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 03:58 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: My opinion pn this is pretty simple: ake care of the corpses or face the consequences.

Was there no way to have them only block miasma?
Now, and take this with a grain of salt bc I’m not a coder, but I think there IS, the PR was just someone cutting corners
i think sterile masks being able to block miasma would be a rather good change
This would be a nice mercy on medbay personnel who is the one to deal with the piles of rotten corpses most of the time. Beside do sterile masks even do anything currently ? Because they sure don't protect from the cold when it happens.
Sterile masks 10,000% should provide strong (though imo not quite *full*) protection against miasma. Perhaps they could degrade with exposure to it, who knows, but it'd definitely make life a lot easier.

As for functionality, they *should* help to prevent disease spread, but if they did something like reducing the chance for failure when doing surgery or reduced the amount of chems inhaled from gas clouds and chem reactions, that'd be awesome too.
To this day we get sterile masks in the crematorium.. you know the place to burn bodies. As well as gloves.
So I do not see why we don't have this feature.
At the same time I want more autopsies.
kinda disagree with this now as we dont need more reasons for people to ignore corpses
Actually, I wonder if sterile masks having *degradation* would incentivize cleaning corpses? If they took up enough 'infectious' reagents, getting all gross and icky, continuing to wear them would actually deal TOX damage. But otherwise they'd normally prevent you from inhaling those infectious reagents, minimizing TOX damage from working around bodies.

This would *temporarily* prevent annoying damage from dealing with bodies, but if you let them pile up for too long, they stop working and just get you even sicker, incentivizing either a new mask, or dealing with the bodies - and there are only so many masks to go around.

(In a similar vein they could help minimize the effects of poisons, but the more they prevented the more toxic they became, and they'd just start poisoning you)
As a prolific mask wearer, yes please
(01-08-2023, 07:21 AM)Cal Wrote: kinda disagree with this now as we dont need more reasons for people to ignore corpses

well for me it's more of an annoyance because it's very common for corpses to be left out and in order to get them you'll have to sprint through a dense fog of miasma to retrieve it because nobody else wants to, and in the process the corpse spews out more miasma and it's just bothersome. if you have something like this in play then you might have people be less reticent to get off their ass and grab corpses
Miasma, in small quantities ( <5 ), does not damage you. Grabbing a corpse quickly will not be enough to cause damage. There was also a bug, which I believe has been fixed, that caused corpses to keep spewing miasma even after reaching the final stage of decomposition which was not intended.

Otherwise, just hit them with formaldehyde or stick them in a morgue. If you're leaving piles of bodies around don't complain when they start stinking up the place.
I wouldn't be opposed to rotbustecs being easier to make kr extra formaldehyde or something