Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mining magnet PVE ideas
So I've been thinking how the mining magnet could be more fun lately, and thought of how I liked the type of asteroid that can spawn that has a mini trench inside, with some trench enemies. I think this archetype of asteroid could be really fun to expand on.

You could have a bear cave for example, or other examples from the discord have been a mini bee hive with honey inside and a fermid hive. Personally I think these would add more spice to mining, as nanites can often be too much so many miners will just skip them. If anyone has more fun ideas for PVE asteroids post em here.

EDIT: Just had another idea. An asteroid type with mini syndicate ops inside, like from the pipebomb. Stupid idea but it WOULD be funny.
Space Bear cave: Yes

Syndicate mini ops: Maybe.

In my opinion.... PVE stuff needs to have pay offs. While randoms are fine.. syndicate mini ops can do alot of damage to miners with their guns.
Space bears on the other hand can be easily dealt with spear and even mining equipment.

Mini Syndicates if they spawn in TOO EARLY will destroy and kill miners.

Also good miners will NOT use random intervals on the magnet, they will use the telescope 1st to find what they need.

So for this to work.. you need to add the following:
- Add them to the telescope.
- Give good rewards.
- Not be overwhelming like Nanites.

The reasons miners skip nanites is because it's a HASSLE to mine them, you gotta kill em around 4 times to get rid of em. (or thats how it feels)
Also remember.... traitors are abound, so PVE stuff can be abused.
(01-05-2023, 03:49 AM)Kotlol Wrote: The reasons miners skip nanites is because it's a HASSLE to mine them, you gotta kill em around 4 times to get rid of em. (or thats how it feels)
Also remember.... traitors are abound, so PVE stuff can be abused.

The other reason is that nanites asteroid contain useless carbon fiber and they can drop useless iridium alloy on death. Which you can then stare at wondering why you bothered or make a moderatly stronger than average spear maybe ? Thats about it.
(Unless you happen to be on Clarion where carbon fibers and iridium have excellent properties for making nuclear reactor components.)

Funny asteroïds like the trench one are fine and we could use more of them. As long as they are not too dangerous and don't end up cluttering the mining process too much. If you are unlucky, it can be hassle to find the basic ores you need to really get mining going. I wouldn't like to pull of menagerie of dangerous critters in a row sending me to medbay regularly. Also new miners already have a high death rate. This could make it worse, in addition to traitor stuff.
Yeah I agree that they shouldn't be too powerful. One of the main points of this idea for me is that nanites are extremely powerful and the only other dangerous asteroid is the trench one, which has a nice difficulty. More of that.
Something I tried to work on at some point but quickly gave up on was prefab compatibility for the mineral magnet. This would allow for wreckages and other prefabs, likely with goodies and baddies, to be retrieved via magnet.

If it wasn't obvious I strongly support this idea, even if I'm not knowledgeable/patient enough right now to implement the support for it. I love the idea of being able to locate derelicts on the QT or randomly pull in wreckage more complex than some plating with some rods and scrap thrown in; imagine having a chance to pull in a derelict mining drone and cracking open its cargo bin for goodies!