Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns should cause deafness or ringing-in-ears sound
So I went to the range today with my shotgun, my .44 revolver, and my old Russian rifle. I decided to fire a shot with my shotgun to see how it would sound. Well, I couldn't hear after that and ringing set in. I did the same for my .44 and rifle. Again, pretty much deaf. I then wore earmuffs for the rest of my stay.

Anyway, when you fire a gun in-doors, the noise is deafening and it creates a ringing sound in your ear, which indicates freshly damaged cilia in the ear. I still hear the ringing and it's been 9 hours since then. So my proposal is that shooting the revolver, shotgun, and old hunting rifle inside the station would cause temporary deafness and/or a ringing sound to play for everyone nearby. The suppressed .22 wouldn't cause either as 1) it's suppressed and 2) .22 is not loud enough to cause damage even without being suppressed. If deafness is too harsh, it could muffle or lower the volume of what you hear temporarily.
Yes, guns are very loud. I remember thinking that I wouldn't need ear protection if I went shooting... then I went shooting.

Nevertheless I think a ringing sound that covers up other sounds for a few seconds would be cool as a little detail. Getting deafened because you're getting in gunfights with sec would probably be shitty though.
Well it'd be neat if it caused deafness after firing too much, but I really don't want to hear EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE every time I fire a gun without ear plugs.
Maybe the shotgun/revolver boxes could come with some syndi-plugs? Takes up the earslot and keeps you from being affected, but SPECIAL PLUG TECHNOLOGY still lets you hear everything on screen like normal.
Ali0en Wrote:Maybe the shotgun/revolver boxes could come with some syndi-plugs? Takes up the earslot and keeps you from being affected, but SPECIAL PLUG TECHNOLOGY still lets you hear everything on screen like normal.
What about the detective? I thought the whole idea of removing the "You don't feel cool enough" thing was so everyone could use his gun.
Ali0en Wrote:So I went to the range today with my shotgun, my .44 revolver, and my old Russian rifle. I decided to fire a shot with my shotgun to see how it would sound. Well, I couldn't hear after that and ringing set in. I did the same for my .44 and rifle. Again, pretty much deaf. I then wore earmuffs for the rest of my stay.

For future reference, I'm kind of surprised they let you do that, and you should never do that again. You get permanent hearing damage really quickly if you shoot a lot without ear protection.

As for the suggestion, I don't think shotguns need something else to make them better (deafness can be a massive hindrance, and earplugs make it so you can just switch them out when you need to hear after each shot), and deafness is annoying enough that I'm not sure it should be even more available.
From a lifetime of shooting guns he is not affected by gunfire. Kind of like how the chaplain is not affected by wizard. Or just make it not cause anything unless you use the more lethal rounds, since standard .38 isn't TOO loud.
the detective exists in the noir world, where guns don't deafen, fedoras are fashionable, and all dames are trouble
mozi Wrote:the detective exists in the noir world, where guns don't deafen, fedoras are fashionable, and all dames are trouble
Fedoras are still pretty cool, it's the trilby that people mistake for a fedora that is pretty bad.
Trilby- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qAS9SFv0deU/S ... trilby.jpg
Fedora- http://www.explorerhats.com/wp-content/ ... _3Q-sq.jpg

Detective pulls off that fedora.
Fedoras still arent cool
this would just get annoying imo.

BlackPhoenix Wrote:Fedoras are still pretty cool

loooooool ok then
Honestly, an avatar improvement, but actual fedoras are worn with the two piece suit and all. The guys in the movie Gangster Squad are the kind of example. Looks dated as fuck, but yet, very cool. Or it might just be Nick Nolte.
Ringing might be neat after flashbangs or explosions, but idk, I don't wanna get too far into Call of Duty In Space territory.
Lets find common ground and say that fedoras are only cool if you live in the 1940's and are a private eye wearing a suit, overalls, and a trenchcoat with a gun.

Anyway back on topic I think any changes to weapons shouldn't borderline on too realistic because a gunfight ending with both parties deaf because neither wore ear protection could get gunfights pretty boring pretty quick, unless certain headsets also protected against noise.

Flashbangs might make sense though because a security officer is stupid to use one up close.
I don't think guns should cause it but having an actual ringing noise when you're deafened would be really neat and handy