Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicon Killswitching Debate
I'll start it off with the fact that I don't know if it's more of a general ss13 thread or an ideas & suggestions.
But on the discord it's been clogging up the chat whenever it's brought up and it never gets anywhere productive as the people that think it should be changed remain on their stance and the people against it remain on theirs.

But I'll start it off with I think killswitching runs on a fine line. On classic? It is probably fine, I mean you guys validhunt for fun. On RP there's a specific rule telling you to not kill antags without RP. However a silicon can be freely killed as long as it doesn't have laws which I have a problem with. If a group of silicons don't have laws (They aren't emagged for arguments sake) and one out of the 4 of them kills or severely injures a human, it is apparently fine to killswitch them all.

My major problem with that is you might be RPing with one cyborg before killing all of them, ending 3 silicons without them even doing anything wrong.

I'll also add to it, a lot of arguments against it are that OOC you picked to be a cyborg and that's the terms, I can partially agree with that on the stance "You single silicon did something wrong. I'll kill you with this magical console" Sure, that works. But I feel that statement also more applies to the laws. You, by signing up as a silicon OOC are agreeing to 1. Not harm humans at all. And, to listen to them. However I don't want this thread to go over ALL of the silicons "What's right" "What's wrong" Thing, I just want it to be about the killswitching as people argue about it a bit in the discord then it gets forgotten about (Seeing as in the RP chat there are about 1000 messages or whatever a day, it would be hard to go back to find it in any channel it took place in.)

Finally. There's about a 90% chance I forgot something to add in, so I might add to it later - and try to keep it about killswitching (The RP rule for crew --> antag escalation I say relates to it. But add anything else to the debate for or against it.)
I never... I mean NEVER seen on RP the fact that the crew killswitches all borgs due to 1 going rogue.

I must miss it...
You still have to rp as rogue borg and with rogue borgs. It's not okay to killswitch all the cyborgs without rp, per our rp rules.

These situations are already covered under the rules. If you see people breaking the rules, ahelp them. To my knowledge, this sort of scenario is so rare to the point that I don't think I've ever even heard about it even once.
(12-28-2022, 06:12 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: You still have to rp as rogue borg and with rogue borgs. It's not okay to killswitch all the cyborgs without rp, per our rp rules.

These situations are already covered under the rules. If you see people breaking the rules, ahelp them. To my knowledge, this sort of scenario is so rare to the point that I don't think I've ever even heard about it even once.

I've seen it happen a few times, as per me making the thread here, and I have ahelped them with a response of "There's no reason to not to kill lawless cyborgs." It isn't all that rare in relativity to silicons being rogued, because rarely anyone goes for the law rack and if they do, they input their own laws. And emagging a cyborg removes them from being able to be killswitched.
There's going to be a lot of leeway in terms of the killswitch on RP because:

1. It can be very hard to determine which borgs are causing problems and which are not, and flicking the killswitch when the crew has reason to believe all borgs have become violent is okay.

2. Someone who has proven hostile does not necessarily need to be RP'd with, like if you are dropping hellmixes on people then them taking a pre-emptive shot is fine to preserve the station in terms of RP. Kind of like sec bum rushing someone who's been tossing bombs or shooting people on sight.

3. When the laws go, borgs are functionally group antags.

4. It is almost impossible to tell which borgs are doing what given the speed at which they can move, the fact that many borg interactions are invisible to non-silicons, and lying is a part of the game. Killswitching all the borgs as a safety measure isn't ideal, but it is reasonable.

The RP rules are by the nature of roleplay open to admin discretion and there's plenty of reasons for admins to err on the side of a mass killswitch being an acceptable choice within the current rules.

If you do find issues, please ahelp. We don't actually get very many ahelps about killswitches at all.
Sometimes I think killswitching a borg is too easy, all it takes is someone with access to go to a robotics terminal and press the button, and on goon1 people get aa all the time. Imo the killswitch should be able to be reverted or maybe have it say who killswitched the borg
You can undo a killswitch by putting the brain back in a cyborg.
(12-31-2022, 02:43 PM)jan.antilles Wrote: You can undo a killswitch by putting the brain back in a cyborg.

Good to know thank you