Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Evil portal event tuned too highly
this thing either needs to be toned way down or turned off till it can be re-eaxmined. every shift or nearly potentially multuole times martians and rattle snakes and space bears spawn in huge numbers with plasma spores and emagged beepskies and emagged cleaner bots.

the pacing of the round stops, it sa round that encoruagtes the staff to grab guns and start shooting things, this sorta thing is fine with admins monitoring but it -erradicates- the round. the aftermath takes forever to clean and it is legitimately and whole heartedly unfun to deal with as it stands.

take out the poison creatures and the beepskies or take out the event or reduce it to just a few spawns. this is absolutely nuts.
At least speaking from an RP server perspective, the portal event has been pretty troublesome for the flow of RP, yeah, especially for Security and Medical, as they oftentimes have to drop what they're doing to counteract the sudden influx of violence.

It sometimes very abruptly ends whatever RP players had going on at the time to start fighting back, which some people may say is good as a way to suddenly escalate the RP or something of the sort, but it just happens way too often to be an enjoyable sort of escalation - at least for me personally, and I'm sure for others as well. Silent Majority's statement that it encourages more on senseless violence than legitimate roleplay is something I agree with as well.

Like Silent Majority has stated, it would be really nice to either lower the amount of nasty fellas that come in to stir things up or outright take them out of RP servers.

That being said, I would like to disclaim that I am not in any way trying to negatively criticize or paint whoever implemented this feature in a negative light, nor am I attempting to assassinate any individual's character with my statements which may or may not be against the portal event. I'm just expressing my own concerns about the portal event.

I acknowledge the age-old concern of not wanting to make RP too different from Classic as to not deter some people in the playerbase, but this feels like a bit of a disruptive problem that should probably be scaled down a bit in my personal opinion.
I really like the idea of the evil portal event. I think it's a fun idea, I think with good pushing or build up it can work really good and be really fun like when we have a mild void encroaching onto the shuttle/site, or disaster, or even when we crash. Those are fun though since there's a clear theme and build up to something horrific.
But as it is now its very very nasty and chaotic to the point of being unfun. Suddenly fighting a bear, or a swarm of wasps, martian, etc., is fun, but it isn't fun when the swarm is so large of all of these that it becomes unstoppable, unable to be cleaned, and unable to be fixed. On RP it just breaks the flow of the RP without rhyme or reason, and it becomes such a mess that sec can't focus on anything else, rpers cant focus on anything else etc etc. Last round I had with this fun immediately ended since I was swarmed by a emagged beepsky, snake, wasp, and martian all at once. Its just not even possible to work with anymore.
If they lower the amount, make it rarer, or make some build up text tenish minutes before it starts that'd be fine I think. Its a really fun idea, it can be interesting and a nice change of pace! I think whoever implemented this put love and work into it.
But it needs so so much reworking.
i like the idea of it but in execution i do think it's very punishing. just one bite from a snake is enough to kill you, and you can get stunlocked by scorpions and snakes, guaranteeing you die a painful and bloody death. maybe less emagged beepskies and more stuff that you could feasibly win a fight with one on one. i do think having *some* dangerous critters that you might want to just run from/gang up to deal with in the mix is fun
Yeah I love more PvE personally, it's just the choice of critters. A lot of combat critters are designed in a way where... To deal damage, you take damage, there's no dodging the walk forward and hit you AI or robusting it like an NPC monkey. Get grazed by one of a good couple of the critters in the pool and you need toxin treatment at medbay. More things like killer tomatoes I say, low health fun to splat stuff.