Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ectoplasmic Analyzer - clone people from ghosts!
This would be a device found in telescience (upper biodome or void) that can be scanned by a mechanic and then built in genetics to allow a ghost to be cloned back to life. A nice perk for the station that would allow more practical use for 1) genetics, 2) telescience, 3) mechanics, 4) interdepartmental teamwork
rulib Wrote:This would be a device found in telescience (upper biodome or void) that can be scanned by a mechanic and then built in genetics to allow a ghost to be cloned back to life. A nice perk for the station that would allow more practical use for 1) genetics, 2) telescience, 3) mechanics, 4) interdepartmental teamwork
This would be neat if it A. Only worked a limited number of times or drained a metric Aston of energy, so it didn't ruin traitor rounds so much, and B. Required you to get the ectoplasm using that gun that can shoot ghosts. If I recall, you don't know what ghost you are shooting at when you use it, they're all called "ghost"?
It sounds right at home in SS13, but some people would make a bumrush to it every round and make murdering people absolutely impossible.
True... I wonder if it would be possible to randomize whether it spawns in or not...?
Give it a chance to accidentally clone this guy.
Klayboxx Wrote:It sounds right at home in SS13, but some people would make a bumrush to it every round and make murdering people absolutely impossible.
Would anyone beeline something in Void or Upper Biodome, every round, that requires a mechanic? Maybe put it behind the crazy zombie in Upper Biodome?
Yes, I love this idea.
It could just be an artifact, perhaps an eldritch artifact that would required to be activated!
Genetics can hardly be convinced to clone someone you literally throw in their faces. Do you really think they would beeline to get something to clone people who can't bother them?
Make it super difficult to get, require a ton of interdepartmental cooperation, and also use up rare, expensive things as fuel.

So, for instance, you would have to combine a Necro-Scan module, those goggles that let you see ghosts, the ghost-shooting gun, and a cerenkite power cell to upgrade the cloner. It would require a shitton of power, as well as strange reagent, a ton of bio-matter in the reclaimer, and telecrystals.

That way, it's an incredible accomplishment that requires at least some of the people from mechanics, telescience, mining/QM, engineering, genetics, and the chef/botany to spend a large portion of the round doing, plus it's super-expensive and time-consuming for every use.
If you made it so it took an insane amount of work to clone a single guy then I don't see a problem, or a point.
I really like the idea of the Captain being gibbed in a tragic explosion at the diner, so the entire crew bands together, and spends the entire round working and collecting, until they finally put together everything needed, and are able to reconstitute Shitty Bill.

"Did I ever tell you about that time I was a ghost?"
No one would ever do that if it required like 5 departments to work together and took half a round. I don't think 5 departments are even running at any one time on the station.
making it cheaper to use but having a super long cooldown (also having to be like mounted or wrenched down) would be cool if there were ghosts of random evil npcs
Get rid of most of the cross-department cooperation (still have it a bit), and require the sacrifice of a living person to revive one. Since normal crew can't kill people without them being traitors, etc. it'll make it pretty hard to utilize. That and the heavy cost should make it rare but viable. You could also add some horrible secondary consequence like sometimes summoning people as zombies or them becoming immortal.
Make it so that the artifact requires one living host.

That means that if they want to revive someone, it has to be a sacrifice.

Also for extra fun, what if the revival has a tiny percent chance of being the wrong person despite it looking like their body. A accidental possession if you will.

Turns out the guy we thought was captain is actually the traitor in his body, huh.

Imagine the shenanigans if completely competent captain becomes jay wolff, who then demands everyone remove their shoes (In captain's body)

A traitor could order a mindslave to bring them back to life as a sacrifice.

A member of the crew could valiantly sacrifice themselves to bring back someone who actually knows how to save the station.

A traitor could have their death sentence be "Ritual Sacrifice" meaning they die to bring back their victim.

Someone who was going to commit suicide anyway can kill themselves and bring someone else back just to be nice, and accidentally bring back a traitor.

At least four stupid and or crazy options!