Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Help messages for in-game things
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This lets atoms define `help_message` which is analogous to `desc` except it's displayed when you alt+doubleclick a thing. This is intended to give short instructions on how to interact with a thing (i.e. what tool does what).

This is also available by right-clicking a thing and selecting *Help*, this is only present on items which actually have a help message. Clicking the Help verb in the Command tab or typing Help into the command bar shows you both instructions on how to use it and also a general message informing you about the wiki guide and F1 / F3. I consider this to be a good idea considering that a brand new player might type `help` into the command bar or click the (somewhat non-obvious) Help button in the verbs list. (I tried to make the verb name be bold there but no luck.)

As an example this PR implements the help message for disposal pipes. The expectation is that subsequent PRs from the community or from me will add similar help messages to as many relevant objects as possible.

The help messages can also be dynamic (i.e. a project with several phases of construction can show a different message based on what phase it is in).

Example of the help messages when alt+doubleclicking:
[Image: 206805962-c4ed3978-420e-49d6-80ea-ef2172915eaf.png]

The base help message you get when you just click Help:
[Image: 206806011-981af389-e4e3-4f59-90c2-cafc7af7ce24.png]

Right click menu option (only present if the object has a help message):
[Image: 206806040-ad859a38-4c3f-40ad-8394-ea0816c077ee.png]

Light mode:
[Image: 206806111-ab42320d-615b-423d-934a-53365314135f.png]

Why's this needed?
Many interactions are somewhat obscure, nonintuitive and hard to remember not only for new players but also for seasoned veterans. Whether it's deconstructing a reinforced wall (which has this sort of help already in its description) or building a custom vending machine or perhaps building a pod most players check the wiki which shouldn't generally be necessary in an ideal world. This is a step in that direction.

In addition to that this should also help with players adapting to the constant stream of new features for which even the wiki documentation tends to lag behind.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)pali
(*)You can now Alt+Doubleclick things to see a help message on how to use them. So far this is only implemented for a few things (disposal pipes) but expect this to be more widespread in the future. (Rightclick + clicking Help also works.)

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Sounds wonderful to me. Accessibility is something we can always use more of in the case of a game such as ours.
Perhaps we could add wiki links to the item in question in the description? Additionally, if its a component of something like a metal sheet for instance, perhaps the help menu could give links to the possible results that could be made with that item?
I loved this PR already, but at the same time I wonder... "I learned most things by incompetnetly smacking things with tools, that was fun too."

But I'll be honest... the help section is probably a QoL I have for newbies and also to elviate Mentors to focus on harder stuff that the help tool can't give.
Like for example... chem mixing.
this is a very good and well thought out addition to the game, i think something like this would definitely help flatten and smooth the learning curve as a new player
actually amazing, now i dont have to pull up the wiki everytime i forget how to do something