Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BlackrayJack and Bubs, LLJK#2, January 9th
Your argument is that it's perfectly okay to make jokes at the expense of somebody based on a trait they have had since birth and are unable to control, so long as most of society doesn't normally do it?
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Your argument is that it's perfectly okay to make jokes at the expense of somebody based on a trait they have had since birth and are unable to control, so long as most of society doesn't normally do it?
Shut up nose-haver
Nose-haver?
bubs Wrote:The no ironic racism rule refers to people saying things that are ACTUALLY RACIST or offensive but doing so in an ironic way.

Blackphoenix are you a men's rights activist? Do you often talk of the proliferation of reverse discrimination? Are you concerned with the rise of male sexism in america?

Do you honestly not see a difference between a group of people who have been hated and systematically destroyed and hurt in the past, and a group of people who haven't?
Black phoenix i have been pummeling jerks like you online for years -- Don't even try this bull shit

Until being white, straight, middle-class, and male are no longer considered "normal", nobody who's any of those things has any right to complain about getting teased for it
bubs Wrote:
bubs Wrote:The no ironic racism rule refers to people saying things that are ACTUALLY RACIST or offensive but doing so in an ironic way.

Blackphoenix are you a men's rights activist? Do you often talk of the proliferation of reverse discrimination? Are you concerned with the rise of male sexism in america?

Do you honestly not see a difference between a group of people who have been hated and systematically destroyed and hurt in the past, and a group of people who haven't?
First off, making the jump that I'm some asshole who runs around screaming "IGNORE OTHER PEOPLE'S ISSUES LOOK AT ME" because I'm saying it isn't okay to make jokes at the expense of somebody else's traits that they were born with is childish at best. Second off, the answer isn't to say "Well you weren't ever made fun of for your inborn traits before so now it's okay to do because revenge". That's even more childish. The answer is to not make jokes at the expense of a person based on their natural inborn traits that they can't change. What has happened in the past and is still happening today to homosexual people, while absolutely abhorrent and something that I hate to see and try to help stop, doesn't change that it isn't an ok thing to do.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:First off, making the jump that I'm some asshole who runs around screaming "IGNORE OTHER PEOPLE'S ISSUES LOOK AT ME" because I'm saying it isn't okay to make jokes at the expense of somebody else's traits that they were born with is childish at best. Second off, the answer isn't to say "Well you weren't ever made fun of for your inborn traits before so now it's okay to do because revenge". That's even more childish. The answer is to not make jokes at the expense of a person based on their natural inborn traits that they can't change. What has happened in the past and is still happening today to homosexual people, while absolutely abhorrent and something that I hate to see and try to help stop, doesn't change that it isn't an ok thing to do.

You don't seem to get that there is an inherent difference between making a joke at someone's expense because they're gay and making a joke at someone's "expense" because they're straight
atomicthumbs Wrote:Black phoenix i have been pummeling jerks like you online for years -- Don't even try this bull shit

Until being white, straight, middle-class, and male are no longer considered "normal", nobody who's any of those things has any right to complain about getting teased for it
Again, it isn't okay for anyone to make fun of anyone else for something that they were born as. You can't choose the race you were born with, the gender or sex you were born with, or the sexuality you were born with. Middle class -can- be changed, for better or worse, and while I'm not a fan of making jokes at a person's economic status, especially not to those who are impoverished as it is rarely their fault, I at least see that it isn't the same. Saying "I am gay and was born that way so you don't get to make jokes at my expense, but you're straight and were born that way so I get to make jokes at your expense" isn't okay. Again, I am -not- saying you should be allowed to make jokes at the expense of gay people/minority races/women/anyone's inborn traits, I'm saying you shouldn't do it. Ever. At all. It is wrong.
you are a very talented arguing person. it's like I'm trying to reason with a brick wall!
only it is ok
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Your argument is that it's perfectly okay to make jokes at the expense of somebody based on a trait they have had since birth and are unable to control, so long as most of society doesn't normally do it?

So long as it's a reversal of the usual status quo of the majority oppressing the minority and making jokes at their expense, yes. I am completely okay with that.

Edit: Whoops I responded to that again thinking it was a new page
Atomic, you are saying that it is different because there have been and still are incredibly large majorities of bias against people based on a certain inborn trait, in this case homosexuality. That is true. You are saying that there have not been nearly as many, if any, amounts of that same bias against people based on a different inborn trait, in this case heterosexuality. That is also true. You are saying that it is wrong to make jokes at the expense of a person based on an inborn trait, homosexuality, because it's not something they control and it doesn't make them "less of a person" or any of the other bullshit insults that bigots like to throw. That is true. You are then saying that, you -should- be allowed to make jokes at the expense of a person based on a -different- inborn trait. I don't see how that is the case, if you've already argued that inborn traits aren't something to be made fun of.
atomicthumbs Wrote:

So long as it's a reversal of the usual status quo of the majority oppressing the minority and making jokes at their expense, yes. I am completely okay with that.

Edit: Whoops I responded to that again thinking it was a new page
Then I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Nobody should opress anyone, no matter if it's a reversal or not. We're all human beings, we've all got emotions and thoughts and what have you, trying to "Get back at one another" is stupid, no matter your excuse.
her eis my finishing move. Here it comes... wait for it ....

are you saying that it would be wrong for a Polish Jew to make a joke about his or her captors using a German stereotype? are you? you are
can someone start a count