Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple (?) suggestion regarding the Reagent Extractor
Hey all! I typically play botanist, and I've familiarized myself a good deal with the Reagent Extractor. It's a very handy tool indeed, and I'm glad that botany has it in-house (rather than having to, say, truck all the way over to the Science Department to extract anything).

That said, I think the "Isolate" and "Purge" functions are a little strange. Sure, they work as intended - they let you get rid of or purify certain chemicals with ease. But often times it's a very wasteful process. If I extract a plant with several useful chems in it and I want only one for, say, a patch or a chemical bottle, you have to get rid of all of the other chems in the container. This gets even worse if you make a useful spliced plant with a bunch of chems for the sake of tray economy, since there could be many unique chemical per piece of produce, but if you want to isolate a single chemical out of several useful chems, you'll have to get rid of all the others. It kinda feels...unnecessary, I don't know.

What I'd propose is that you could use the ability to select the other chem reservoirs in the Reagent Extractor to redirect the chems that you're getting rid of by either isolating or purging, instead of sending them to the ethereal plane. That way, you don't have to waste them if you don't want to.

I'll explain with an example: let's say you have Black Venne in the Reagent Extractor, and your have two empty holding tanks and an empty beaker inserted. You select the beaker and extract both atropine and charcoal into it. You want the atropine because it's a great crit medication, but the charcoal is useful, too, and you don't feel like throwing it away. So you then select the first holding tank as your target and click "purge" on the charcoal that's in your inserted beaker. Instead of vanishing, the charcoal in the beaker gets sent to the holding tank, and the beaker is left with pure atropine. You could also do this the other way around by selecting "Isolate" on the atropine in the beaker, which would eject the charcoal into the holding tank of your choosing. If you had Lifeweed instead, isolating the omnizine would send both the CBD and THC to the selected holding tank. If you did want to get rid of something, you could keep the container you're purging/isolating from selected, and the operations would work as they do now, getting rid of one or all but one of the chemicals in the container respectively.

This could be especially useful for situations where you accidentally extract something valuable into a pool of another also-valuable chemical, like extracting lifeweed into your holding tank of 300u of Space Fungus, or extracting more than one drug at a time out of your Omega Weed leaves. It'd also allow for easier use of the Reagent extractor for mixing chemicals, which I'd imagine would be the only reason why this change wouldn't be implemented (in case you're really hell-bent on keeping droppers relevant).

Even with that acknowledged, I don't think this change would be terribly game-breaking, moreso a small QoL thing. As a botanist, you can generally extract more of your desired chemicals just by growing more plants, which takes some time and effort but otherwise isn't too difficult, and equipment for mixing drugs is not hard to come by. (Sometimes, you can even find mechanical droppers in botany.) But being able to save some of the other chemicals that are present in your plants (looking at you, Dawning Venne!) would prevent a lot of waste and save some time. It's admittedly a niche change, but I'd welcome it.

But who knows, maybe there's another good reason not to add this that I haven't thought of. That or there's some other way to save the chemicals you extract that I'm not aware of. Tell me what you think!
I guess the short answer to this would be: We can't have nice things because chem nerds ruin everything.

But also I'm not a fan of the idea because the point of botany isn't to replicate or behave like chemistry. If you are in botany and trying to isolate chems, make precise measurements and refining pills, you are not playing to botany's strenghts.

I try to focus on what botany can do better/easier than medical or chemistry. Easy mass production of synthflesh and omnizine being one. But I don't sweat about perfect pill/bottle/patch dosage. I just mail the raw stuff to whoever might use it and let them handle it. Because if you grow your plants right, you will always produce way more chemicals than anyone would ever need.

Having access to reagents extractors and chemmasters is extremely handy and usefull, but as a botanist I believe its more interesting to focus on super produces rather than super pills. I also believe that some crops having excess/useless chems is very intentional and part of the challenge of botany.
Basicly put it's clunky cause Botany ain't suppose to be chemistry.

There is in total 3 places where you can work on chemistry.
"The Bar/kitchen"
"Medbay's Chemistry" (I forgot the name)
"Science's Chemistry"

If botany gets chemistry... we might as well give ENGINEERING chemistry and SECURITY chemistry.
Cause Security needs it to investigate chemical compounds, make luminol and make tear gas.
Engineering needs it, because at this point every place needs chemistry.

So no.. there are ENOUGH places to request chemistry/request access to.

Cause I KNOW what will happen if botany gets their perfect chemistry set and it won't be fun.
If you need chems or chems seperation.. go to any of these 3 places.
(12-19-2022, 04:41 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Basicly put it's clunky cause Botany ain't suppose to be chemistry.

"The Bar/kitchen"
"Science's Chemistry"

If botany gets chemistry... we might as well give ENGINEERING chemistry and SECURITY chemistry.
Cause Security needs it to investigate chemical compounds, make luminol and make tear gas.

Cause I KNOW what will happen if botany gets their perfect chemistry set and it won't be fun.
I was not aware that there was any better way of separating chems from mixes. The more you know, I guess! (Now there's even more reason for me to bug the bartender for access besides the free ammonia.)

Still, not adding in better functionality for the reagent extractor doesn't stop a botanist from mixing up nasty chem mixes if they want to. (A napalm goo + phlogiston + CLF3 mix that you can splash on people is something botanists can make in house as is.) It just means that you waste less chems if you want to isolate helpful (or harmful) pure chems for the station from your plants.

But if y'all think it's a bad idea, then that's alright. It's not a dealbreaker for me either way.
(12-19-2022, 06:47 AM)RelentlessGarbage Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 04:41 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Basicly put it's clunky cause Botany ain't suppose to be chemistry.

"The Bar/kitchen"
"Science's Chemistry"

I was not aware that there was any better way of separating chems from mixes. The more you know, I guess! (Now there's even more reason for me to bug the bartender for access besides the free ammonia.)

Still, not adding in better functionality for the reagent extractor doesn't stop a botanist from mixing up nasty chem mixes if they want to. (A napalm goo + phlogiston + CLF3 mix that you can splash on people is something botanists can make in house as is.) It just means that you waste less chems if you want to isolate helpful (or harmful) pure chems for the station from your plants.

But if y'all think it's a bad idea, then that's alright. It's not a dealbreaker for me either way.

I understand the need for chem control would be great for Botany. I do.... but then why would you bother Engineering to ask engineering for that stuff? Why would you bother other departments for chems?
This is a mindset that has been growing lately... I litterly played botany once, someone with all access came in and started growing stuff without asking me, who was there sitting and waiting for a harvest to be ready.
He put it in... then ran off, never to pick it up. I told em, you can just ASK me you know? It's my JOB.

Don't get me wrong it's annoying when you can't get other departments to assist yours as well and you wish you had self control to some degree. But this is why each shift is different.
I just think it's a bad idea since I know it will make botany get out of control in the chem department since they are next to the bar anyway... 
Remember one thing... whatever the botanist can do... so can the rancher and they have chickens too.
Imagine them able to make different chemical glass chickens each round, while only growing 1 stock of plants.

Every lil change upsets the total station balance in a way and lowers interactivity between departments.
It's why Security lost all medical access cause they became EMTs and Security in one. Giving doctors less to do and medbay checkpoints useless.
That kinda stuff you gotta think of.
(12-19-2022, 07:20 AM)Kotlol Wrote: This is a mindset that has been growing lately... I litterly played botany once, someone with all access came in and started growing stuff without asking me, who was there sitting and waiting for a harvest to be ready.
He put it in... then ran off, never to pick it up. I told em, you can just ASK me you know? It's my JOB.

I kniw this is off-topic.

I know i don't do it enough myself, but if someone waltzes in and blocks trays, ahelp it. I don't mind people getting in and asking for little stuff like printing some mechscans or getting some seeds, but running in and being a detriment to your work is a no-go.
lossless isolation is a thing nobody except chemists have, even that is with the obtuse chemicompiler.

you get plenty of reagent if you grow enough crops regardless. i think it's a reasonable bit of clunkiness to have, plus lossless isolation has other ramifications for things like mystery pills and artifacts.