Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
server population cap and re-open a 2nd server
Topic.

Essentially, goon1 is an unplayable mess 100% of the time. the population of 80+ every round makes things run like crap, and is incredibly not fun to even play in. waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more people than the maps were built for. and with the closing of goon2, it just got way worse. goon2 was very low population, in my opinion for two reasons, the low population itself, and the very poor behavior of the goon2 regulars.

solutions? certainly not closing goon2. but if there was a population cap on goon1, that would have forced people to distribute out into goon2 as well, solving the problem of not having anyone playing on goon2.

as it sits now, i havent played for months, well before goon2 closed down. There just isnt anything fun to do on goon1 except lag around being obnoxious because theres already 20 people for every job. and i tried playing on goon2 before it closed to bring some population to it, but every round there were several griefers. Constantly would get chopped up as soon as i popped in on the shuttle, then after running from there, the assaults just continued, every round.

if theres regularly 100 players on goon1, cap it at 50 and reopen goon2, thats a 50 player split for each server, that gives two servers at a much more optimal level, instead of zero servers working in a fun manner.

i would check out the RP servers, but the mechanics on there just seem really annoying and pointless. ive no problem RPing, but having to worry about staying clean and fed in a one hour or less timeframe is just silly.

just my idea and opinion on things. as it sits now, im probably just deleting the byond app and not checking to see if by chance half of goon1 died so i can actually play for the first time in months.

good luck, best of wishes, most likely, goodbye.
No. That isn't how people behave, as we saw with the capped nightshade servers.

People want to play on the same server their friend group usually plays on. If they can't get on their preferred server, they just don't play.

You also fail to realize that 80 players IS the optimal population for a lot of people. There's a reason why populations snowball: a large segment of our playerbase likes how crazy things get in full servers
well that is tragically unfortunate then. hope that one friend group of 80 people never stops playing then cuz thats the end of goon completely that day.

if thats the outlook, not much reason to even keep checkin in.... byond, uninstalled.

maybe if the server didnt lag insane with 80 people, and there was space and jobs. but you apparently have a large segment that just wants to grief and cause chaos if "a large segment likes how crazy things get" it isnt good crazy, like, interesting or anything, its just hectic.
Let's say you have a friend group of 5 people that usually play on server 1, server 1 is at 47 people, and server 2 is at 10 people

The last two people in that friend group log on but can't get into server 1 to play with their friends. 5 players moving to server 2 would only bring the pop up to 15, which isn't enough to play the kind of ss13 the group likes to play

What do the the two people do? Do they suffer a 12 person round without their friends or do they just wait for server 1 to have some openings so they can play with their friends?

You see this with mmos,too, so this applies independent of population. When servers get full and people can't join their friends on exodus or whatever, they just don't play the game.

There is no benefit to having a server cap; it just leads to less players overall and an artificial cap on how big goon can grow its playerbase
I am okay for an overflow or second classic server again...
but I fear it would just repeat the sins of the old.

Server Caps defintally ain't needed..... even if classic starts to lag.

You could try RP servers more.