Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Bamboo-based spike traps
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Hydroponics][Feature][Input-Wanted]

About the PR

This PR adds spike traps into the game.
[Image: 207724534-976a8fcc-5e42-4b67-9bc4-900cfb7df9f6.png] [Image: 207724557-ae73d469-3e04-4061-bfa9-4632131f5ca7.png]
Spike traps are created by using cable coils on bamboo stalks, consuming 3 bamboo stalks and 4 units of cable coil. After a 5 second action bar, a spike trap is created.

Arming spike traps is a quick action with a 2 second action bar by using the assembled trap in your hand. Once armed, any person who moves into the trap and is above walking speed suffers 9 damage and a 2 seconds stun while being forced onto the ground.

If a human slips or is thrown into a tile with the trap in place, their flight is stopped, the trap is destroyed and the person in question suffers 20 damage and a 3 second stun. All damage from the trap is reduced by "chest"-melee-resistance of the victim.

The trap can be laced with chemicals, both in armed and unarmed form. A trap can hold up to 15 chemicals and injects a person with chemicals up to half the damage dealt.

The trap can be disarmed and disassembled with wirecutters, with a 2 and 1 second action bar respectively.

Why's this needed?

Gives botany another angle to apply the chemicals they have access to. Also, this promotes "trapped jungles" in maintance for creative traitors.

In contrast to rafflesias or stinging nettles, their chemical application ignores chemprot and instead checks the melee resistance of the victim. This makes the trap a real threat to crewmember while the "on step"-effect of the trap is a nuisance to sec and not able to inject actually deadly amount of chemicals into them.

This makes the trap a supplement to other deadly botany items and not a replacement or contender.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Lord_Earthfire
(*)Adds spike traps made out of bamboo and cables. Lace them with chemicals and trap the hallways like you always wanted!

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Cool idea for bamboo for sure.
I love it, i hope it gets added because it feels so interesting, both as a dangerous item and as a potential prank thing. Love the diversity this could add to the role as well.
I had quite fun coding them. I wanted some feedback of the balancing because the diversity this kind of trap delivers is very powerfull, though.

Especially the numbers. Currently, an officer in armored vest that steps into the trap is injcected with 1u, someone in captain/heavy armor with 1u, and a staffie with 4u of the chem on the trap (3u with a 2 armor item over their jumpsuit).

For throwing, it is 7u for the officer, 6u for captain armor/nukie and 9u for a staffie.