Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omnitool reversion or cost decrease
Hi.

New omnitool is immensely user unfriendly now. its 5 times slower and brings you out of decon. I think cost should either be dropped to 1, or it should be reverted to its previous form. under current setup its demonstrably worse at everything other then inventory space, but even then, its now slower then switching tools.
The primary function of the syndicate omnitool is that it can be hidden in clothing and such; a full set of tools + a knife that you can hide inside your shoes. Being technically worse than a full toolbelt of tools is fine imo since its job isn't to replace a full suite of tools, but instead to be a full suite of tools you can sneak into the brig with.
omni cancelling out decon menu is probably unintentional anti qol but they both use the same menu so... no idea how to mend that
I think in the discord some people are already trying to fix it, since the same annoyance happens with the borg omnitool.
Open PR to fix just the decon tool context menu use case: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/12356

If the PR goes in, there is still a usability trade-off in having to move your mouse back and forth instead of hovering over your target and pressing C the right number of times (or mashing C until the tool you want appears).

A method used with radial menus in other games would be to select the tool you're hovering over on keyUp; e.g. hold "C" to bring up the menu, and when you release it the icon you're hovering over is selected. This would reduce clicks but require more coordination in mouse control. Unsure if feasible to do with the current contextAction code, but might strike a better usability balance? Would people be interested?
^^^
this is how i intuited they would work when i first saw context menus, would be a big fan of that implementation
that could help...as is its just wretched. I was fine with cycling before, this new menu just makies it slower and clunkier.