Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[PR] Moves the silicon channel implant to a limited manudrive. Gives the manudrive...
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[GAME OBJECTS] [BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
This pr moves the machine translator implants to a manudrive limited to 6 copies (one for each head). The manudrive spawns in the rd's locker, along with an implanter for the rd to use with the implants.

Why's this needed?
Currently, machine translator implants are really cheap to make, and often roboticists will give a lot of them out round-start, making the silicon channel insecure. This aims to make access to the silicon channel limited so that when the AI goes rogue, everyone and their mother won't get access to the silicon channel.

Changelog

```changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)Machine translator implants have been moved to a limited manudrive in the medical director's locker.
(+)Roboticists now spawn with a machine translator implant in them.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
it doesn't seem particularly wise to give the manudrive to an entirely different department, their robots don't even use the silicon channel!
Borgs use the silicon channel, not guardbuddies. Besides, rogue AIs aren't completely out of options if people take implants, the silicon PDA group is inaccessible to everyone else except packet sniffers. (Though not many silicons seem to know about the PDA thing, maybe it should be added to the wiki somewhere?)

If the issue eventually gets bad enough that it does need a manudrive, though, it should probably be in the MD's locker instead of RD's for reasons explained by Herb.
Roboticists being able to speak to the silicons there is litterally part of.their identity. If this happenedĀ roboticist should start with the implant
Like the concept, implementation is kind of off to me for reasons Herb and rdcb mentioned. Definitely into this more than just a resource cost bump though
I think it should require gold. I'd honestly be fine if it was a roboticst only thing. like they came with it and no one else
I appreciate what this pr is doing, however I think this is a bad way of going about it. Not only does it not really fit RD, I feel like the way this would play out is the RD giving out implants to all of the scientists and themselves, which seems way worse then the current arrangement. That being said, even though silicons can use the pda channel, this feels eh as someone can easily get an implant and just stay silent and the silicons would have no clue that there's someone in that channel. Not to mention silicon channel is silicons thing and a very unique aspect of there identity, and for it to be easily given to others just isnt great. To me the changes towards the robotics implant should be aimed to reducing availability, giving silicons more info, and giving silicons more control.

I think a simple material increase would accomplish the first one, maybe uqill? I think a message for when someone gets access to the silicon channel be this new borgs or humans would help a lot with the middle one, and just seems nice overall, this means that someone cant just join the channel, stay silent, and snitch when the borgs use this channel for criming. Finally, I think giving the AI the option to disable/enable the ability for people (one option for specific people, other option for everyone) to use the machine implant would be good. This would be a semi quiet thing initially, but the moment someone tries to use the machine implant they'll naturally notice that the message fails to send, meaning they'll get suspicious of the AI being rogue.
I kinda agree that machine translator makes it easy to just snitch rogue silicons, but roboticists (especially on RP) mostly use it to tell information about upgrades and new cells for silicons. I feel like if you want to make it so that people don't easily have access to silicon radio, robotics need another alternative to converse with silicons, so you know, I could tell them if an artcell is ready or have plans to make all upgrades shell.

Also, why RD and not MDir? Imo, I prefer if it still have cheap materials but it's the MDir who has access to the manudrive.
"often roboticists will take one round-start, making the silicon channel insecure"

Robotics Control is how carbon based crew have a some control over silicon outside of laws, so if anything I agree they could spawn with the implant. Personally I like that is something a robotics can to opt into doing but raising the cost for others wouldn't be bad.
Aight, I went ahead and moved the manudrive to the md's locker. I've also made it so roboticist spawn with an implant.
Cannot stress how much I dislike this PR. The scilicons already have a lot of power on the station, having people in the scilicon channel feels like a necessary handicap. The implant is also extremely useful for roboticists and anyome wanting to coordinate with the borg. This PR just feels like too much. Especially since most MDs hand the manudrives out like candy regardless of the scilicon department's input.
I like the idea of robotics starting with one and it being mildly more expensive.

Issue: people barging into medbay to use their mats for this
If there is an issue of people barging in and printing on the fabs (which imo isn't on RP but it might be on classic), perhaps fabs should just get ID locked and one of the wires made to control the ID restriction.
Id locked fabs would be like ID locked chem dispensers. It kind of defeats the point of the fab and gives players an incentive to either A) powergame tools or B) kill/steal robotics ID. I just dont like the precedent it sets
id also again point out the fact that this does feel like not that much of a problem.

borgs aren't full antags. they know they have a harder fight to balance their own strength.

easy fix?

take away the robotics fab in cargo. problem solved.