Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More genes for Genetics
is there a chance genetics can get an update since nadir exists? for example:

1.) A gene that lets the user spits acid (like Nadir acid) but bad stability causes the user to just drool it onto themselves (acid shot)

2.) An acid resistance/immunity gene

3.) A gene that could detect metals in a bigger radius for miners in dangerous places (metallic sense)

just to name a few
genetics has A Lot of genes already, which can make you basically immune to everything in the game. acid resist already pretty much exists in the form of fire resistance and toxic resistance, and seems to fill a niche that doesnt really need to be filled. nadir is the only map where acid is an active problem, and the map itself (as well as genes already existing heavily reducing its damages to you regardless of suit or internals) provides lots of suits to combat the damage

acid spit is wayyyy to similar to lings ability

meson goggles let you see through asteroids making the third suggestion also kind of… not really needing to be a thing

more genes would definitely be interesting, maybe more genes that you need to combine to reach. but them having their own unique ability that isnt already filled or just super similar to existing things would be preferable
i do think there could stand to be a larger variety of genes. there are a lot of genes you don't see used much at all because they're gated behind combinations. and if youve never heard of gene combos then i don't really blame you
(11-04-2022, 05:05 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i do think there could stand to be a larger variety of genes. there are a lot of genes you don't see used much at all because they're gated behind combinations. and if youve never heard of gene combos then i don't really blame you

No, I have, i guess I've never considered the tox + fire res, and meson goggles... but it would help for late joiners i guess... when everyone takes all the equipment, or if nukie rounds occur... idk
I know this isn't the place for it but I kinda wish some of genetics.... stuff, was diversified? (Cough cough Pathology). Genetics has a TON of genes, that can make you immune to 90% of the stuff in the game, I would almost argue it's too strong and there's too many just straight up buffs/immunities/superpowers.

If we get more genes, I want more exotic and interesting things that aren't just "Immunity to X" The metal sense one for example is cool. Or how about more genes with downsides and upsides? Instead of just being a + buff.
(11-07-2022, 07:52 PM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: I know this isn't the place for it but I kinda wish some of genetics.... stuff, was diversified? (Cough cough Pathology). Genetics has a TON of genes, that can make you immune to 90% of the stuff in the game, I would almost argue it's too strong and there's too many just straight up buffs/immunities/superpowers.

If we get more genes, I want more exotic and interesting things that aren't just "Immunity to X" The metal sense one for example is cool. Or how about more genes with downsides and upsides? Instead of just being a + buff.

We've had a thread on reworking genetics the other week, there's a lot of stuff that can be done to make the field more engaging.

As for the topic of more genes... honestly, no. We already have so many genes that exist but never get used, we really don't need more in my opinion. Like, it could be cool, but the problem with more genes is that it dilutes the already vast pool of genes, making it harder to get stuff you may actually want. The whole system needs a rework imo.
(11-08-2022, 02:03 AM)Glamurio Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 07:52 PM)TheMaskedMan2 Wrote: I know this isn't the place for it but I kinda wish some of genetics.... stuff, was diversified? (Cough cough Pathology). Genetics has a TON of genes, that can make you immune to 90% of the stuff in the game, I would almost argue it's too strong and there's too many just straight up buffs/immunities/superpowers.

We've had a thread on reworking genetics the other week, there's a lot of stuff that can be done to make the field more engaging.

As for the topic of more genes... honestly, no. We already have so many genes that exist but never get used, we really don't need more in my opinion. Like, it could be cool, but the problem with more genes is that it dilutes the already vast pool of genes, making it harder to get stuff you may actually want. The whole system needs a rework imo.

Pretty much this. I think it would be more fun to be able to research bad genes more effectively. Something else then just: "The console, waiting and hope someone has the genes you are after"
I once suggested we simply take pathology, add it to genetics, but change it so you can research genes in a different way too, via samples and blood samples you can collect. Extracting one gene from it and manipulate it differently to see how it grows and changes.

So yea we use the pathology system to make genetics more interresting and slowly readd pathology in a different way that isn't: "I made a french cough virus that spreads" Insted you use pathology to research other forms of genetics to get mutations you want in a less random way, by researching that stuff.

It still needs alot of balancing, but I do think genetics should just get the stuff in pathology so they got more to do.