Seth Butte HoS/mentor application
Usual Character Name: Seth Butte
BYOND Username: rifles
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Times Available: I play off and on in binges, usually afternoon to midnight EST

Reason for Application (300 word minimum):

I've been playing since early donut 2 and I know the important inner workings of every job on the station as they have been from donut 2 all the way up until now. I have experience with playing every job as an antagonist multiple times over, and I am experienced in most of the workings of the game. I prefer figuring things out myself to using guides, and so I have a pretty good idea of how to help people without outright giving things away.

To start off, I'm interested in becoming a head of security primarily as something new to experience, and as a tool for me to assist in making rounds that I am a part of more fun for all players involved. I know from experience that security that does nothing but play to win is terrible, and security that doesn't do their job of chasing traitors at all is nearly as bad. I have a pretty good idea of the balance between the two that nets the most fun. I do my best to gauge the reaction of the crew to an antagonist, and the antagonist's experience and likelihood of successes in order to make the round as fun as possible for both them, and for the crew. I dislike treating all antagonists the same, I heavily weigh the situation they're in and what they have done into what I will do with them as security. As an example, a traitor that got busted in a stupid way before they got to do anything is someone I'll be inclined to fart on and let go without searching, because it's not in the interest of anyone's fun to hammer someone for stupid mistakes.

The more I've played this game, the more I realize every role, including security is better played delicately and fluidly depending on what's going on in the round, and that discretion is what keeps rounds interesting and fun. This is the primary reason I want to become a Head of Security, to help balance rounds out by directing security and the station to work towards making rounds fun, not going all out on every antagonist every round just because we can. I'm also interested in having a little more presence to help convince people that do things like toolbox people that punch them that there are better ways to go about self defense, and there is an appropriate reaction for every action against you.

As for the mentor part, I'm mostly interested because I do know quite a lot about the game, I feel that I can help people with most things that would be asked, and I'm often on the server when there aren't many people on, and that is the time when I learned how a lot of the more complicated aspects of the game worked, and I think being a mentor at such times would be great to help anyone who needs it when they're experimenting.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):

I've played a whole lot of Captain, and a whole lot of Detective. I'm not so inclined to play straight up security because I do enjoy being an antagonist, especially so when I don't have a plan in mind for an antagonist role, and by intending to play the Detective or the Captain in a normal way and finding myself a traitor that has to make up something on the spot is really when I enjoy the game the most. My playstyle has changed massively over time, as I wrote about in the above ugly paragraph, I have noticed a lot of variances in what goes on in a given round, and learned that reacting with an appropriate level of skill and effort is always more fun than going all out, or not paying attention at all.

As such, I feel the best way for security to be played is to apply an appropriate amount of pressure to any given antagonist or other bad guy. I don't like ignoring antagonists, and I don't like outright crushing them. The best balance is enough pressure to keep them on their feet and reacting, but not so much that they're basically being hunted by superman. I feel it's the most fun for me when I see an antagonist overcome me with clever planning or robusting skills, and in my experience with antagonist roles, it's the most fun for them as well. I don't like super-sec, and I very much dislike security that always outright kills antagonists. I do my best to punish antagonists that have been captured with a punishment fitting their crimes, and I never outright kill antagonists. About the worst thing I ever do to an antagonist would be borging them, or not stepping in to an extreme degree when another person is killing them, mostly because it's not really a defensible stance to not outright kill a rampaging traitor, even if it is often the most boring thing to do.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):

Security is pretty good, I'd like to see a gen pop against the main hallway with windows to look in, and the whole security wing be shrunk down and more oriented around that primary cell. The entryway is pretty great, and the weapon storage is probably the best change overall compared to previous layouts.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum):

I saw the first one. Shrek is a pretty cool ogre. Eddie Murphy is a pretty cool donkey.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):

I know of two, I want to say I have a third for something but I absolutely cannot remember it. The first was when I either hacked a mulebot or found a hacked mulebot (I don't remember if I hacked it or not) on donut 2 and I rode it around and ran over a couple people. I realized it was wrong, adminhelped on myself saying it was me, and got a ban for a couple hours. I think my second ban was also on donut 2, and happened when I stole the nuclear charge on an operative round. I planned on ransoming it for something, and I was told to return it, I did, and then I was banned. I realized afterwards that it was pretty stupid to take even with a gimmick in mind, and that I was in the wrong. I was also warned a couple months back because I was tempting some security as a non-traitor because they seemed pretty terrible, and I didn't have anything else going on, and I put an admin in a position where they had to order the security to let me out of the brig because I kept pressing them in passive-aggressive ways. I realized immediately after it was over that it was a really shitty thing to do and I apologized as best as I could for putting the admin in that position, and took a break from the game for a couple days.

[Image: Eqt4PUY.png]

Thanks for your consideration Heh.
He's been around since forever and ever and he has always been a fun person. Entirely deserving of the beret.
Yes!

IDK if my vote counts though since we're CLEARLY related wink
Yeah ok