Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove seeing yourself talk twice when using radio
Lightbulb 
Just had an idea and I'm curious, is anyone else annoyed every time seeing this?
[Image: u0horeV.png]
It feels a bit redundant to see, yes, you talked on 145.9. I think just seeing the radio (green) message would be a nice QoL feature.
Doesn't look to difficult to implement, if it's actually a decent idea I could totally try and PR it. Thoughts?

(I'm talking about *you* seeing it. Other people should still see this)
Sounds good I think. The second message is you "whispering" into the radio (and is what people next to you hear if you are talking to the radio).

Feel free to PR it but:

- make sure the whisper message is still visible to people next to you

- make sure you see the whisper message if the radio message doesn't go through (for example because you aren't wearing a headset or because there's some jamming or solar flare etc.; but I recommend doing this generally isntead of enumerating these possibilities)

Unsure what the best approach to make this work would be but feel free to ping / DM me on discord if you want to ask / discuss the details.
Sounds about what I was thinking! I'll see if I can make that work, and if I do I'll PR it / if I don't I will ping you + ask imcoder (probably whoevers online first)

Alright gonna have to continue tomorrow the speech code is confusing me
It appears I am failing to understand how the speech code works, so I don't think I can do this anytime soon until I wrap my head around that
I think what could work is using text formating to denote what's being heard.

Color for when something is being said over radio since that already denotes radio channels, italics for actions

So a radio chat message would look like someone whispering to themselves. Being able to hear it would mean getting to see the whole message in the italic font and the radio channel color.
I actually prefer having the double text.
(10-30-2022, 01:09 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think what could work is using text formating to denote what's being heard.

Color for when something is being said over radio since that already denotes radio channels, italics for actions

So a radio chat message would look like someone whispering to themselves. Being able to hear it would mean getting to see the whole message in the italic font and the radio channel color.
Sounds neat! Anything to make chat more readable IMO is good.
(10-31-2022, 11:35 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I actually prefer having the double text.

Ooh, could I know why? Like a clarity that you indeed sent the radio message, something else?

Though I am really not understanding this speech code so I doubt this idea will be anything I can make happen. Who knows?
I think its like you said, Clarity that I sent the message. We have stuff like voice changers and changelings that can speak as you over the radio. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal because obviously if you didn't type it out you would know that you didn't make that message over the radio but I just always liked the confirmation that I was speaking over the radio.
There might be other reasons it would be nice to have that. Like trying to send radio calls while in an airless room or other stuff that would impact your speaking ability.