Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[PR] Removes owner names from organs/limbs
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEEDBACK] [REMOVAL] [BALANCE]
About the PR
Title.
Notably does NOT remove owner names from hair or skulls- hair because it's probably recognizable already, and skulls because of the in-hand interaction where you yell the owner's name. I could remove the latter though.

fixes #11639 incidentally.

Why's this needed?
Dumb that I can recognize a disembodied leg on the ground. Makes forensics less useful.

Code:
changelog
(u)aloe
(+)Limbs and organs no longer bear the names of their owners.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I like this a lot personally, I think it owns and look forward to seeing a pile of viscera and having to Communicate to see whose it is
The cycle continues (I do not care either way but it's funny)
Last time this was tried it got reverted. Might be worth it to look into discussions that happened back then. (I believe there were issues with spy thief limb stealing and with limb replacements causing negative effects. But even discounting that there were various thoughts about this idea in principle.)

I personally don't think removing the names from the limbs / organs adds much to the game. Sure knowing whose limb / organ it was doesn't make much sense but realism has never been (and should never be) the driving force behind this game. Though the forensics angle is interesting and makes me like this a little more than I would like it otherwise. I'm still midlly against this PR but I don't feel particularly strongly about this.
I think removing the name is probably for the best for organs (healtth scanners can out a transformed ling) but for limbs its kinda important for spy bounties
IIRC one concern here was the part names identifying lings and stuff (since they won't match the person they're coming from), which makes me think that a more fun thing to do is to name them after the person's current name (so respecting disguises) when they're removed from the mob.
Is there a way to just "HIDE" the name on the organ or limb?
What about brains? Being able to tell if it's a player's brain or a monkey brain has a good amount of value: knowing it's a player makes people more motivated to monkeyclone or borg it.
(10-28-2022, 07:51 AM)Garash Wrote: What about brains? Being able to tell if it's a player's brain or a monkey brain has a good amount of value: knowing it's a player makes people more motivated to monkeyclone or borg it.

Health scanners will show it. Or mark it when it's removed.
(10-28-2022, 02:13 AM)pali6 Wrote: Last time this was tried it got reverted. Might be worth it to look into discussions that happened back then. (I believe there were issues with spy thief limb stealing and with limb replacements causing negative effects. But even discounting that there were various thoughts about this idea in principle.)

I personally don't think removing the names from the limbs / organs adds much to the game. Sure knowing whose limb / organ it was doesn't make much sense but realism has never been (and should never be) the driving force behind this game. Though the forensics angle is interesting and makes me like this a little more than I would like it otherwise. I'm still midlly against this PR but I don't feel particularly strongly about this.

being able to identify limbs on the spot could be rolled into medical training (like how roboticists can identify if a brain is 'cold' or not)
(10-28-2022, 12:43 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 02:13 AM)pali6 Wrote: Last time this was tried it got reverted. Might be worth it to look into discussions that happened back then. (I believe there were issues with spy thief limb stealing and with limb replacements causing negative effects. But even discounting that there were various thoughts about this idea in principle.)

being able to identify limbs on the spot could be rolled into medical training (like how roboticists can identify if a brain is 'cold' or not)

I think this would be a good path to take - Maybe give it to antagonists, too, so they can identify the limbs they need to steal.
I think this is the previous thread for reference :
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=1774

While this adds realism, I agree that it doesn't add much value aside from introducing additional tedium.
Gating it behind "medical training" to identify limbs/organs makes even less sense if realism is the target.

Thinking beyond forensic scenarios as fairly few people have access to it :

1) you lose the comedy value of beating someone up with their own arm in a fight
2) A bombing occurs that kills a crowd of people. A brain is recovered by an engineer but whose brain is it? the antag? an innocent crew? a random monkey caught in the explosion? Introducing doubt here is unnecessary.
3) you get caught in the explosion above, and lose a limb or two. You now cannot find your own limb in a sea of parts (you should really be able to tell your own limb apart). If limb rejection is still a thing, it becomes more problematic if you re-attach someone else's leg/arm and it starts attacking you.
(10-28-2022, 10:59 PM)Zafhset Wrote: 2) A bombing occurs that kills a crowd of people. A brain is recovered by an engineer but whose brain is it? the antag? an innocent crew? a random monkey caught in the explosion? Introducing doubt here is unnecessary.

Positive IMO, especially if it can lead to ‘no shoot him IM the real HoS’ type scenarios.

Knowing if the brain is hot or cold (or npc) should be enough.
(10-28-2022, 10:59 PM)Zafhset Wrote: I think this is the previous thread for reference :
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=1774

While this adds realism, I agree that it doesn't add much value aside from introducing additional tedium.
Gating it behind "medical training" to identify limbs/organs makes even less sense if realism is the target.

Thinking beyond forensic scenarios as fairly few people have access to it :

1) you lose the comedy value of beating someone up with their own arm in a fight
2) A bombing occurs that kills a crowd of people. A brain is recovered by an engineer but whose brain is it? the antag? an innocent crew? a random monkey caught in the explosion? Introducing doubt here is unnecessary.
3) you get caught in the explosion above, and lose a limb or two. You now cannot find your own limb in a sea of parts (you should really be able to tell your own limb apart). If limb rejection is still a thing, it becomes more problematic if you re-attach someone else's leg/arm and it starts attacking you.

honestly yeah it does seem rather tedious and even worse incredibly arbitrary
What does this add to the game?

No one is going to be doing forensics on a pile of gibs + limbs.