Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Dragon Antagonist
Hey all, I'm working on a dragon antagonist for SS13. I really don't feel like re-typing everything I did for the original post on the discord, but the picture gets the idea across good enough. (Disclaimer: All my skills are in art, no good at coding, so at the moment I'm just working on sprites and drawings for this.)
[Image: dragon_conepts.png]
Obviously since my skills and experience with working with Goon is Nil (Zero) this will be VERY SLOW, astronomically slow, while I work on more humble projects in the meantime to learn, but I'd like it to happen eventually! For now this is basically an idea repository, so feel free to drop suggestions and ideas.
These designs are fantastic! I love the idea of a dragon antagonist. I think it’d be interesting if the fire you spewed also dispensed the chems you ate: eating beakers full of phlog fed to you by chemists, or spouting unstable mutagen on poor unmutated crew mates. Very fun idea!
I seen this on other code bases.. well the concept of a space dragon..
They are quite aggresive players.

Though your design is different.
If i would see such a small cute dragon hatchling near the ranch, i would try to catch them and feed them everything i got.

Overall, an antag that interacts with ranch, botany, the bar, chemistry and medbay sounds awesome and the first two departments seriously need to be more often targeted by antags.

Make them also be able to slurp up puddles and ants (incoming fermid-dragon). Make the station care for tje messes they leave behind.

Just don't let them feed on water... Oshan or the pool could become quite trivial Evolution then.
This sorta seems like you want to do the tg space dragon as a morph from tg

The baseline idea is cute enough on paper but it probably nweds quiet a bit of work before id say it was even pr ready, or is this more of an interest gauger?
I do like the idea of a an antagonist getting to choose an evolution based on the actions they took during the start of the round. Being able to evolve towards a path of your liking is fun as it leads to people having a shot at getting what they want, but also offering them an easier option to evolve should it present themselves, which makes replaying the antag fun and exciting.
I do wonder how it'd work mechanically and what the abilities would be, but the general concept looks different enough from other antagonists to be fresh and intriguing.
Very cute drawings by the way!
(10-20-2022, 10:52 AM)Bartimeus Wrote: I do like the idea of a an antagonist getting to choose an evolution based on the actions they took during the start of the round. Being able to evolve towards a path of your liking is fun as it leads to people having a shot at getting what they want, but also offering them an easier option to evolve should it present themselves, which makes replaying the antag fun and exciting.
I do wonder how it'd work mechanically and what the abilities would be, but the general concept looks different enough from other antagonists to be fresh and intriguing.
Very cute drawings by the way!

This sounds like the post-rework wraith. I’m not saying another antag like this couldn’t be made, or that these drawings aren’t adorable, I’m just saying we DO already have something like this

Side note: because the dragon would have to “level up”, I would worry about it being too weak when it’s a baby. Arcfiend and vampire kinda work with the “get more powerful over the round” because they have some abilities that can fend others off roundstart.
(10-20-2022, 06:02 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: If i would see such a small cute dragon hatchling near the ranch, i would try to catch them and feed them everything i got.

good news 

as for this thread i dunno how much im down for a wraith-like evolving antag that's cutesy like this, we get enough people attacking people who try to fight off timberdoodles.

the art is really cute tho
I would like to apologize because I accidentally clicked on the rating thing and messed up the stars on this thread and I don't know how to fix it.
(10-20-2022, 11:12 AM)Cal Wrote: as for this thread i dunno how much im down for a wraith-like evolving antag that's cutesy like this, we get enough people attacking people who try to fight off timberdoodles.

To be fair I think Timbers aren't...supposed to be antags?

I can see the point though, people need to stop attacking others over self defense.
(10-20-2022, 11:12 AM)Cal Wrote: as for this thread i dunno how much im down for a wraith-like evolving antag that's cutesy like this, we get enough people attacking people who try to fight off timberdoodles.
(10-20-2022, 12:26 PM)Technature Wrote: To be fair I think Timbers aren't...supposed to be antags?

I mean wrestledoodles
Ok yeah people need to not do that
As previously stated, from a conceptual standpoint it's super cool, I also love the idea of an antag that has different evolutions based on what they eat, the only downside is the sheer complexity and scale for this PR. From the way you worded it, it seems like you want to do individually designed forms, rather than just making it like golems that simply take whatever material they were made from.

That makes it a lot more complex, having to consider all the potential transformations, especially if you want to make something unique for specific chems like "miasma" or "blood". If it was more generic, it'd be more feasible I think. Liquid, Solid and gaseous for instance.
That's a ridiculously cute dragon.

Quote:If it was more generic, it'd be more feasible I think. Liquid, Solid and gaseous for instance.

I like that direction, especially if they're going around eating and absorbing chems. Could see them as a sort of creature that could perform different chemical reactions as biological functions. Absorb chems and break them down into their base parts, heat or chill them, convert them into others.