Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Portable Radios! (Idea to enhance the Radio Host)
Music 
So, I personally really love the atmosphere a good radio host can create! But they have a couple issues:
- You can't exactly mute them if they get annoying,
- It is INCREDIBLY easy to accidentally ignore them, seeing as you have to actively watch the chat window to see their chatter.
- They have no real presence on station.
I was thinking of something that could address these issues, and the first idea I had was for a portable radio! I'm thinking like the big ole rectangles with speakers you can place on a table. The radio host's chatter would be floating text appearing over the radio, and the radio could be muted at any time! This would make it much easier to listen to your favorite (or much easier to shut up your least favorite) radio host! I'm sure there are a couple issues, one being that extra floating text would result in a bit more visual clutter, but I think that the radio host deserves a way to interact with crew easier. (also think how cute little music notes coming out of a radio would be)

What do you think?
B-33
Tune-in radio host with floating text? Count me in, sounds super fun. Endless possibilities.
Shouldn't completely remove radio host text from the sidebar, though, so if this could be combined with a toggle for that, that would be ideal
I am fine with the radio in the side bar....
IF YOU CAN TURN THAT FRIGGING THING OFF!

My problem is listening to the radio is a curse... if you turn off the frequency.. congrats.. NOW you can't hear general radio chatter.
And turning it on and off is a hassle with the radio host going gaga!

I am 100% fine with having it on from the start... but let players tune out of they want to.
Some hosts have very long and commited bits that drown out important radio chatter.
I think HoP and Captain suffer the most from this as they can hear every department and here comes the DJ with their advert spam, drowning out the report how engineer is on fire from a failed hellburn and needs help...

So yes.. this option is good but also add an option to "tune out of the radio"
Seems fun, not a fan of a way to 'tune out the radio' as the Radio Host doesn't get all that much interactions, and if there's a thing about spamming the radio then I'm not sure why it'd make this mute feature or whatever exclusive to the Radio Host as anyone can spam.
Extra fun to have a radio in the bar, since there's usually a phone right there for you to call in and argue with the radio host!

Edit: Accidental necro assist. Oh well, good idea regardless.
Seems like a pretty interesting idea. My one concern would be if the increased attention from the noticeable map text still wouldnt be enough to overcome the reduced attention from it being restricted to physical items rather than basically omnipresent, but I feel like it would mostly come out as a wash since its so easy to ignore it currently anyways.

I agree the bar would be an excellent location. Other potential good spots would be customs for the bored, deskbound HoP and/or any poor crewmembers stuck in a queue, and in the crew lounge/quarters.

Just realized this was a year old thread a few posts back. Oh well, the idea still holds up.