Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Yet another discussion on wizard changes
I want to start by saying that I love both playing as wizards and fighting them. They make for action-packed rounds with lots of engagement and carnage. I know wizards are constantly being talked about because they are very powerful, and it's hard to balance them. I would like to raise a few of my suggestions and get some community feedback.

What I want to do: Is make wizards more balanced and better to engage in a fight

What I don't want: Is to make it too easy to fight wizards/unfun to play.

Change #1 Remove the wizard game mode. Having 1-3 wizards at once is a lot, and can be tough to deal with. But having 3-5 is insane for all but a full sec team. By removing this game mode and limiting the number of wizards to at most 3, I think we could stop insane rampages that leave most of the crew dead.

Change #2 As I said previously, limit wizards to no more than 3 at a time. With medium to high-skill players, they are able to absolutely wipe the floor with an understated/ uncoordinated sec team.

Change #3 Make the wizards truly technophobes. Given the wizard toolkit alone, you are already insanely powerful. But add some stolen sec weapons or others found on the station, and you become almost unstoppable. I suggest making the wizards technophobes and removing their ability to even pick up energy weapons. Not only does it help balance wizards, but it does not make sense for someone who wields "magic" to use energy weapons. To me, this also makes sense because they are described as technophobes on the wiki under Game Modes.

Change #4 Give wizards auto soul guard if they die before 15 minutes have elapsed. This will act more as a buff for wizards, but only for those who are unfortunate or new to the role. I feel helping new wizard players helps to better flush out the role.  a fancy greater domestic space-bee

Of course, these are my suggestions and I would love to hear what the rest of the community thinks! (Also P.S. I may have made a few grammatical errors.)
Anything to tone down wizards and make RP wizards a reality one day.
3 would be cool especially if it had some flavour beyond “baton no work f u”. Magic interferes with the tech and causes strangeness and whimsy or something

The problem with 4 is it removes the risk from immediately suicide rushing sec / caps office round start to try and catch them unawares and cripple sec / get the spare
4 would just lead to suicide rushing.
If 4 were to be implemented measures would have to be taken to prevent rushing sec w/o consequence
Im completely against #3.

Most of SS13 marvel comes from interacting with different systems of the game. And most are tech based
You would effectively lock wizards out of most gimmicks they could do by combining spells and tech. You would lock them even more into rampaging.

Whenever wizards cone up, my stance on them us pretty simple :

They don't need new mechanics, no scaling, recource cost or anything like that.

Wizards simply need a revamped spell list with an emphasis on utility/gimmick and severely increased cost on rampage/escape spells.

If you give wizards mostly rampage and escape spells, what do you really expect them to do?
I hate the hulk spell, and will never end my crusade against it. If you get hit once with it you get stunned, and then each hit stuns you more. Wizard should not have a powerful melee spell like, at all.
(10-19-2022, 10:45 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Im completely against #3.

Most of SS13 marvel comes from interacting with different systems of the game. And most are tech based
You would effectively lock wizards out of most gimmicks they could do by combining spells and tech. You would lock them even more into rampaging.

Whenever wizards cone up, my stance on them us pretty simple :

They don't need new mechanics, no scaling, recource cost or anything like that.

Wizards simply need a revamped spell list with an emphasis on utility/gimmick and severely increased cost on rampage/escape spells.

If you give wizards mostly rampage and escape spells, what do you really expect them to do?

No, wizards need to have to ability to use batons and tasers removed. It removes most of the risk from the risk/reward wizard gameplay when you can turn on spell shield and baton someone without them being able to fight back.
To be fair wizards are usually mobbed on sight. The fact their spell list is primarily rampage and escape prolly plays into this
(10-20-2022, 05:03 PM)mralexs Wrote: No, wizards need to have to ability to use batons and tasers removed. It removes most of the risk from the risk/reward wizard gameplay when you can turn on spell shield and baton someone without them being able to fight back.

Antags with batons are a problem in general.

But that is a problem with baton stuns being overpowered.
(10-19-2022, 10:45 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Most of SS13 marvel comes from interacting with different systems of the game. And most are tech based

I am 100% in agreement with you here.

If Wizards need to have their ability to IE: baton for balance reasons (which I think they do) I think it would be best if it was funny / additive / quirky. 

Possible examples to replace hitting people with a charged baton:
- The wizard uses the stun baton as a wand, firing sparks at people.
- The wizard overcharges when they touch it, turning it into a makeshift grenade.
- The wizard doesn’t know what the baton is, identifying it on examine as a massage wand or a prosthetic arm or something.
- The baton absorbs latent magical energy on touch and becomes animate, complete with ridiculous google eyes and voice lines and what have you.
- etc

Blatant rule patches like preventing the wizard from picking up the baton entirely just feel bad.

Also not against wizards using computers and stuff

ED: Maybe just have them drain powercells of held items to give them a charge they can spend empowering their spells? Leans into their unique skillset, grabbing sec gear is still worth it in a fight as it drains the cell + gives you an extra strong spell
(10-20-2022, 08:53 AM)George_Manning Wrote: I hate the hulk spell, and will never end my crusade against it. If you get hit once with it you get stunned, and then each hit stuns you more. Wizard should not have a powerful melee spell like, at all.

It's weird they have a melee spell, isn't it? You expect them to be more of a spell slinger

Personally I'd like more gear related magic. Winged boots that let you run fast but have bad traction. Staffs that fire projectiles, deploy barriers, or have more on touch effects. One and two handed options. Talismans and rings with effects like limited invisibility or damage type resistances
How about adding spell components to more powerfull and known spells?

This makes the Wizard have to hunt the ingridents and have "ammo" at the same time.