Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make mime a round start job you can pick in character set up
It would loose it’s latejoin status unless there’s a job of the day one, then you can have two mimes
The mime seem way too in-depth to be a latejoin exlusive, it has traitor items and Job rewards.
I agree with making the mime being a roundstart job. Many players want this change in game, I know it has been talked about before, but I don't see much reason to not make it like that, it's a job that the players enjoy and being able to starting as one rather than having to latejoin would be fun.
The possibility of randomly getting a job where the only gimmick is you can't talk and you're Clown -lite is not good

There's nothing wrong with it being late join
Quite a few people have wanted to see Mime as a round start job for a while, my self included. I see no reason for it not to be added and to say that it shouldn't be added for someone randomly getting it is kind of a weak argument. Since you could put that into the context of every job. For example, I've had mechanic in unwanted and not gotten it, I don't really see the issue with it joining the group of round start roles. Mime is a extremely enjoyable experience and I feel like when I play it I have to sacrifice my chance of being a antagonist to get it. If introduced I would 100% play it more than I already do as I find it enjoyable to play off speech while not being able to talk and it provides a lot of interesting and fun moments within the game. In conclusion, I see no reason for mime not to be added as a round start job as it takes nothing away from the game, Its already been tested as a late join job and has seen extremely positive reviews and it has a lot of backing in it becoming a round start job. As stated previously the main reason I want it as a round start is the antagonist capability it would gain (late join chance is basically negligible). Mime gets a lot of love and I would love to see it get its chance as a round start, I imagine it getting a equal amount of love to the Clown and see no possible downsides, Except perhaps what could possibly be a spiral of decline where many jobs move out of late join and into round start, However I don't see many jobs getting the level of love that the mime does so i don't really see this as a possibility . But if we went by that logic nothing would ever get done.

100% would love to see mime get to be a round start role!!!! (I might have repeated myself like once or twice in there my bad)
No. for all the reasons given the last time we had this discussion.
(10-18-2022, 05:48 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: I've had mechanic in unwanted and not gotten it, I don't really see the issue with it joining the group of round start roles.

New players do not realize this is even a thing. It'll definitely lead to a lot of new players confused why they cannot communicate.
Honestly, the biggest thing is that roles which cannot speak lean very much against the social game we want to support, and the solution we provided for the other role in this niche (giving translators to round start monkeys) does not work for mime (since giving mimes the ability to speak defeats the point of mimes)

There are ideas that have been suggested, but just adding them to round start with no changes is not one that is likely to be accepted
(10-18-2022, 10:42 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Honestly, the biggest thing is that roles which cannot speak lean very much against the social game we want to support, and the solution we provided for the other role in this niche (giving translators to round start monkeys) does not work for mime (since giving mimes the ability to speak defeats the point of mimes)

There are ideas that have been suggested, but just adding them to round start with no changes is not one that is likely to be accepted

I think one of the most frustrating this about this is like.... mime is still in every round. It's not gonna change in frequency very much by making it round start selectable, it's sniped within 20 seconds of round start almost every round. People have tried to add features, they've been denied. In the case of mime magic, it got added to a chicken egg instead, after people were told mime magic is a hard no.

There are parts I can understand to the reasoning, like the penchant for being more likely to resort to griefy behaviour due to being ignored, a lower level of functional communication, etc. If the devs/admins are worried about the added weight of having to moderate and believe players will frequently grief, that is a fair and legitimate reason. But being told they don't have unique features and they are not good to see frequently feels like it doesn't carry much weight when we see them every round even as a latejoin job, because people love the job. Really the only thing this would change would be the frequency of antagonist status, not the frequency of the job.
Agree with what MomoBerry is saying, Mime is a very popular role and it's odd that you have to latejoin for it, clearly it's also not for a lack of social interaction because it's oftentimes the Mime players that can say far more with the way they act than most people with a hundred words. Why not set it to a job that you can't randomly get for new players, and if they roll it because they put it on higher priority, learning that Mimes cannot talk shouldn't be too much of a shock.
Quote:In the case of mime magic, it got added to a chicken egg instead, after people were told mime magic is a hard no.
These things aren't comparable. A buff locked behind several stages of chicken breeding and progression is not the same thing as mime players having actual magic at round start. Giving magical round start abilities to any job is still a hard no.

I think the context you're missing here is that features are being denied because the features aren't wanted. The team is mostly happy with where mime is exactly as it is: as a late join job, with the equipment and features it currently has. I recommend that you direct your efforts elsewhere unless your ideas are extremely compelling and revolutionary such that you get significant dev buy in before you start