Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rad-proof the ranch
That's about it. Losing your chickens isn't too bad on RP, but it's even worse on classic where you have a much shorter window to do your ranching. I get it would mean the rancher could keep working during an event that's meant to force a break, but expowered rad resist exists on most rounds' gene booths anyway.
Does it actually hurt them? I thought it just gave them horns and such.
Having the ranch be radproof would be pretty good. Ranchers spend a lot of time working on their chickens and I've seen radstorms kill all of their chickens a bunch of times. I don't think there would be any problem making the ranch radproof, and would make a lot of ranch mains happy.
Id prefer the chickens themselves being radproof in any case but that would make mineral chickens invincible if you made them out of say. Erebite
To be honest, you most often only 2-3 chickens. And the time before a radstorm is plenty to get that amount into maints.

Radstorms are a good excuse to get rid of all that lower generation chickens you dont need anymore.

Maybe increase the amount of chicken carriers in the garden vendor, to accomodate for now having two ranchers and both needing to save chickens, but i would say thats about it.
Don’t we have interdictors for this?
Requires engineering to actually build them though. Wonder if we can incentivize that more
(10-16-2022, 08:49 AM)aloe Wrote: Don’t we have interdictors for this?
Requires engineering to actually build them though. Wonder if we can incentivize that more

Considering I dont even know what those are/do I'd say yeah, might wanna make them more worthwhile
radiation used to not actually hurt critters and non-human (or non-monkey) mobs, but something about the radiation rework changed it to actually hurt critters. one can argue that now it's Compelling Emergent Gameplay to get one's chickens to safety before the storm hits, but the 30-60 seconds a radstorm gives you really doesn't give you time to think, let alone concoct a solid chicken evac plan
The problem is...
Moving chickens into maintance can be a PAIN depending on alot of maps...
Since they don't sit still, caging one is hard...
Finding the right one in a pile can be a problem..

And sure some might survive being radded.. but they will teleport around or do things that might kill other chickens and such.

If anything rad storms are always the bane of a rancher. Why do you think some ranchers make pens in large maintance areas?
Heck if I learn the rancher station is in the field, I would love to go there insted, even if I might miss out some crop growing , cause I know those chickens won't die.

Eitherway... just make those pens rad proof. It will save so much headache. Also no more Dolly deaths due to that.
(10-16-2022, 09:51 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: radiation used to not actually hurt critters and non-human (or non-monkey) mobs, but something about the radiation rework changed it to actually hurt critters. one can argue that now it's Compelling Emergent Gameplay to get one's chickens to safety before the storm hits, but the 30-60 seconds a radstorm gives you really doesn't give you time to think, let alone concoct a solid chicken evac plan

Radiation deals significant amount of burn damage now as well. Before the rework, chickens survived radstorms. But they turned out horribly mutated, which, due to radiactive gene, made the ranch unworkable without significant rad protection. It required killing all chickens by hand while getting horrible irradiated. My first rancher shifts with radstorms i was not dying due to the radstorms, but due to taking care of the radioactive chickens afterwards.

After the rad rework, radstorms simply kills most if not all chickens. And i consider that a much better to what it was before.

Having that said, i believe i have much less problems since i simply optimized my gameplay in a way that makes radstorms trivial. I can see how other playstyles of the ranch could face serious problems with radstorms.

And honestly, i saw interdictors being installed only once. But i think the problem is people simply doesnt know it exists. And the wiki only talks about it when it goes over ion storms and the black hole generator.
Oughta be some kinda Rad Proof Chicken Coop they can scurry up in. Keep em safe from rad storms and varmints like Space Possum and Star Fox
(10-16-2022, 10:04 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Oughta be some kinda Rad Proof Chicken Coop they can scurry up in. Keep em safe from rad storms and varmints like Space Possum and Star Fox

Oh i love that idea. How about this concept:

A buildable tile-sized structure that hens (not roosters, because of their aggressive/defensive behaviour) flee into when damaged/scared. Once the radstorm hits, they suffer damage and try to flee into it, if ones there. They also flee inside it when scared, so like they witnessed another chicken beig attacked.

One assembly kit being accessible in each garden vendor, build by applying it to a nesting box. Disassembled by using a wrech (same as the incubator).

Chicken that fled into the coop can be released (and calmed down) by applying chicken feed to the coop. They are protected from fire, radiation or other kind of damage. Explosions destroy them, though.

The coop can hold 4 chickens at max. Chickens dying by hunger or age get ejected.

This way, you are still punished for having too many chickens by radstorms (like you should, take care of your damn roosters). But you have a way to protect ypur chickens that is readily avaible for the rancher that does preparations.

If we wanna make something funny, make the coop being able to connect with disposal pipe endings, sending the hens down the system when triggered by a mechcomp signal.

If people or devs like the idea i can make sprites for it.
I don’t like that the rad storm has to start before they go in the coop, but otherwise good idea.
As previously mentioned, moving chickens is a nightmare, I'm wondering if instead of making the ranch rad-proof, we could work on the ability to move the chickens more quickly instead. Railings should have fence doors you can open and herd chickens through. Maybe it can be like Minecraft where holding a specific type of food (maybe their favorite seed) could cause chickens to want to walk toward you, that way a rancher could safely herd all their chickens into maintenance vents.

This would also lead to cute moments of people getting to pet chickens in maintenance, and could further be used for a rancher to herd all their chickens to the shuttle.
Just make their movement speed / walk cycle slow enough to where carrying them by hand is still faster.
(10-18-2022, 01:00 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Maybe it can be like Minecraft where holding a specific type of food (maybe their favorite seed) could cause chickens to want to walk toward you, that way a rancher could safely herd all their chickens into maintenance vents.

I would certainy make this apply to favorite food only, becaus else handfeeding chicken (to force mutations) could become quite problematic. Chicken would begin to flock towards you and overlap with their sprites. Ths could lead to overfeeding.

Favorite food need more functions anyway. I also thought about handfeeding non-aggressive roosters their favorite food would make them consider you part of their flock for like 5 minutes, attacking anyone who attacks you.

With making favorite food an following enabler as well, we could have a personal guard force.