Luca's Mentor Application !
Usual character name: Corbin Dabra, Antares Mandela, Lux Noctis, Ianis Mandela, Sorin Vasile, Phibi Kefehifi (might be misspelled), Nicholas Clockwork, Lucilius Mothwing, Rosaria Thorn, Abraka Dabra, and Spare Parts ! I think that's all of them.
BYOND username: LuciliusMothboy
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Luca (Corbin, Antares +), or Mothboy#8289 (sorry couldn't exactly tell what you wanted hsjfhk)

Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: 1, 3, and 4 mostly! 

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I don't remember exactly when I began playing, since I have fairly poor memory, but I know I joined the Discord on July 6th. I think I started the game in late June, so really I have 3.5 months of experience. Still, I very quickly came to adore this game and the people I've met here, and most of the learning has been fairly simple for me, for the most part (I still can not understand for the life of me toxins, engineering, or packets.)

I know I'm not an expert at this game, but I've found that I love teaching players, both new and old, and I think that I might, possibly, have what it takes to be a mentor. Regardless, it is something that I genuinely would love to do. I love teaching and watching as others grow and learn, it's truly something that makes me happy. And I want to help newer players enjoy the game in anyway they can! I also would love to help experienced players who forgot how to do something and need a refresher or just simply haven't learned it yet.

As for what I can actually do, I can teach basic game mechanics, assist with chemistry, bartending, and cooking, do some botany (although I'm not insanely good at it), teach someone how to make borgs, guardbuddies, or build a pod, teach most things Medbay, teach Telescience, may be able to teach Artlab although I myself need a refresher on specific commands for it since I haven't done it in a while, stuff like that!

Additionally, I have played a range of antagonists that includes; Traitor, Spy/Thief, Nuclear Operative, Arcfiend, Changeling, Vampire, and have also become a plague rat for a Wraith once on Classic. If people have questions regarding playing these antagonists, I might be able to assist! I also have been an AI and borg before, although I don't have much experience with them.

While I do not know everything about this game and am not the most experienced, I still truly do have the wish and drive to help others learn as much as I can and provide needed information to the best of my ability! Even if my application isn't accepted, I'll still very gladly continue trying to help people in game who seem lost or confused, or are having trouble.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I've gotten accidental IP bans before, due to my IP unfortunately being very similar to someone who is banned permanently, which got lifted after my mom and I informed administration that we were not the person that ban applied to and accidentally got it. I know that doesn't exactly count since it's nothing I did, but I think I should at least mention it. I've also been in Discord timeout once and was once muted on Discord. I've gotten a few Admin PMs in game due to me messing up and doing stuff I shouldn't have, although I try my best to listen to administrators and correct bad behaviors. I know I don't have to include this, since, again, those were not bans, but I feel that I should.
teaching is important. attitude matters too. I value people being welcoming and approachable as mentors.

in no uncertain and literal terms (as literal as you can get with a game, I suppose?) you have walked into a department, physically pushed me out of the way to get to someone behind me that you had over-arching relationship with and wanted to talk to, more than once. in one case you asked why I was hanging around you and friend in med even though...I was a doctor working medbay. you've taken over my job from me in genetics when things were moving too slowly for your liking.

i do not doubt sincerity of passion for the game and experiences had during game, but i believe it only has extended to a few and not many, inclusive of me.
(10-15-2022, 08:53 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: teaching is important. attitude matters too. I value people being welcoming and approachable as mentors.

in no uncertain and literal terms (as literal as you can get with a game, I suppose?) you have walked into a department, physically pushed me out of the way to get to someone behind me that you had over-arching relationship with and wanted to talk to, more than once. in one case you asked why I was hanging around you and friend in med even though...I was a doctor working medbay. you've taken over my job from me in genetics when things were moving too slowly for your liking.

i do not doubt sincerity of passion for the game and experiences had during game, but i believe it only has extended to a few and not many, inclusive of me.

I wasn't initially sure whether to respond to this or not, but after taking time to process the feedback, I have decided I probably should.

I have very poor memory, and I don't want to accidentally state inaccurate information. I don't remember the last thing you're talking about regarding Genetics and am not sure what it's referring to, likely there was some kind of miscommunication or I didn't realize what I was doing was wrong at the time, I'm sorry for not remembering it, and I apologize for the behavior as well.

The second instance I remember, although I don't recall the exact context, just the way I had acted being rude and inappropriate. It unfortunately didn't occur to me until later, and when it did I genuinely felt really bad about it. It was poor practice, and I understand it must have been very upsetting, I really hope you ahelped that one. I wasn't sure until you told me who exactly had been the victim of that action, but now that I do and have the chance to speak to you directly, I am very, very sorry. And I mean that. I've kept this mistake in my mind for a while as an example of how NOT to act around people I don't recognize and have made a promise  to myself to not repeat that sort of behavior. 

As for the first, while I don't remember specific instances, I don't doubt it happened. Again, I apologize. I recognized recently, I think a week or two ago, that I was getting a bit too stuck in a small group, I started trying my best to branch out more. I've been playing several different servers since, and trying to interact with new players or characters I haven't met yet, and I've also been trying to at least offer advice to newer players. I realized at some point I had developed a bad behavior, and have been genuinely trying my best to correct it. It's not easy, bad habits die hard, but I think I'm getting better about it. And since I've started trying to improve, I've been slowly getting into a better spot mentally speaking, and I'm having more fun with the game now. Working on bettering stuff like this is both healthier for others and for me as well.

All in all, I apologize for all of the bad experiences you had with me in the past. I promise I'm trying to be better, and I have taken these words to heart as well. I hope we can RP or talk in the future, and that it'll be a more fun experience for the both of us !
in terms of presence in the community, ive seen you quickly become a frequent and nice rp player (and occasionally classic, as of late). my concern is mainly that i haven’t really seen you do all that much teaching or reaching out to help new players? youre fairly new yourself, so i dont expect you to have every game function memorized by any means, but you seem to be more focused on your rp and story within rounds. theres nothing wrong with that playstyle, i just dont see it being particularly lending to strengths in a mentor

this is a neutral, since i think if you did apply yourself more in that angle, youd be a great fit for it, but for now i just havent seen it
Well you've definitely got the spirit and heart for mentorship, at least in my experiences with you. I agree a bit with what retrino said about needing to take a more active role in teaching new players, but from what I've seen whenever anyone asks for help, either directly asking you or generally asking, you hop to it immediately, so you've got the potential for it, you just need to be more active about it. Overall I think while not perfect, you'd be a good representative of the community and in time, a great mentor.

Definitely a positive recommendation from me!
I dont doubt that you have the knowledge and skills to help other players. In fact, I remember you helping me learn artsci some time ago and I really appreciated it.

But at the moment I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing you as a mentor. I noticed that you tend to only interact with your small group of friends and its very hard to have interactions with you. There were times when we were in the same department and I felt completely ignored or treated rudely because you had to talk to some friends. I think a mentor has to try to be friendly with everyone, even people they don't know, and sometimes they have to put aside the story they are building during the round because maybe someone needs a hand with something.

I hope this feedback is not too harsh and can give you some ideas for improvement. I have already noticed that you are improving in this respect, so carry on, you can definitely be a good mentor in the future, you are very active and your love for the game and the community is evident!
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to mixed community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!