Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
[MERGED PR] Merges mechanics with engineer
I've got mixed feelings on this. I feel like a big issue with it is that lots of people dont play engineer because they're scared of the engine. Its this big complex weird thing that most people dont want any expectation of it being their job to figure out. And I feel like merging mechanics and engineering would lead to fewer people playing mechanic because they dont want to play engineering.

On the other hand, If that doesnt happen then it would be a good way to teach more people how to run the engine. If I'm the CE and I have three engineers who just want to be mechanics, it would be a lot easier to convince them to help out in the engine (since it is nominally their job) and learn something than if they were just mechanics (or any other job with no affiliation with the engine).

Since more people play mechanic than engineer, I also fear for the shift where there are five engineers who are all DWAINE nerds and none of them know to set an engine at all, and the station runs out of power despite having an ostensibly full engineering department. But hopefully that's pretty rare, and there's usually at least the silicons who are willing to set the engine if nobody else does.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-15-2022, 10:39 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-16-2022, 05:54 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-15-2022, 03:14 PM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Cherman0 - 10-16-2022, 05:13 PM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 11:53 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 05:59 PM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 07:21 PM