Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
[MERGED PR] Merges mechanics with engineer
(10-15-2022, 10:38 PM)Munien Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 02:54 PM)Glamurio Wrote: Personally, I'd prefer to diversify both Mechanics and Engineers as their own unique jobs, adding new goals and aims to Mechanics while giving Engineers new tools, but I'd also like to hear what other people are saying.

While I do think this is the ideal solution, the reasoning behind this PR is solid with the current state of both of these jobs. The overlap is really strange and often (in my experience) serves to confuse people, especially new players as to what, other than starting the engine or scanning every piece of equipment possible, these roles are actually supposed to do.
I don't think you can meaningfully diversify these jobs, as at the core these jobs have lots of overlap. You can expand these jobs sure, but without fundamental changes you cannot remove this overlap without making them fundamentally a different job. Mechanics primary job is the ruckt kit, install and replace machinery, and engineers job is to do repairs/construction (alongside engine work). These fundamental functions are the source of the overlap, and while you can complicate it as much you want, as long as these functions remain they'll have this overlap, and Id rather not remove the rkit from mechanics considering thats the core of there job.

(10-16-2022, 12:01 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: My problem is the engine. I don't think a job that provides creative commodities for the whole station should have a mandatory upkeep on work (like the generator). They should be avaible at the beginning of the shift and they should be able to concentrate on their projects other people bind them in.

I never get my hands on an engineer because they work on the engine and don't care for anything else.

I think the main reason why engineers tend to focus so much on the engine is just because they dont have much else. They have construction, but without the rkit theyre heavily impeded for doing it. While I dont think this change will happen overnight, I think this pr will cause a cultural shift to make some engineers less focused. You're free to just fuck off and go work on mechcomp stuff at the beginning of the shift, there's multiple of you and you can coordinate with your team.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-15-2022, 10:39 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-16-2022, 05:54 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-15-2022, 03:14 PM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 11:53 AM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 05:59 PM
RE: [PR] Merges mechanics with engineer - by Ikea - 10-21-2022, 07:21 PM