Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
[CLOSED PR] Add new trigger to ion storm to scramble ID cards
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[STATION SYSTEMS] [FEATURE]

About the PR
Adds a new `ion_category` which queries all player ID cards and randomly choose 5 of them to scramble their access. The modifier is currently removing a 5th of all accesses available, with a minimum of one. Afterwards, it will add 1 or 2 random accesses back to the card, excluding any removed ones.

The excluded accesses are `access_fuck_all` (to avoid breaking stuff), `access_maxsec` (for armory) and `access_change_ids` (to allow an easy reversion), as well as maintaining all hidden accesses such as syndicate which would be otherwise unobtainable.

Finally, it will use the `radioGarbleText()` method to scramble the name on the ID card.

Why's this needed?
This change is part of a long series of changes that I'm planning to make HoP gameplay more varied and interesting. A small subset of players on the station will suddenly find themselves unable to access a location, or dislike their new garbled name, and seek out the HoP to have them fix it. Additionally, it simply adds an additional layer of variety to the game, and fits well into the thematic of an ion storm messing with all electronic devices.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Glamurio (Ryou)
(*)Adds a category to the ion storm event which will scramble player ID cards.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
This event just doesnt seem fun to deal with, this event can easily happen when there's literally no way for individuals to properly recover for it (see how often caps and hops are just missing on classic rounds). Getting fucked over by rng and now your round is severely tampered with no method of recourse just doesnt seem good, having to hack open your workplace and leave it open because hop was missing and captain is off in space I dont think is ideal gameplay.
the way i see this turning out on classic is people just ignoring it/resorting to snipping the id scan on doors more than they already do and people on rp getting annoyed that they have to drop what they're doing and go to the hop to get their id fixed
This sounds like a really good way to get stuck in your/a departement out of your control and get frustrated. Not a fan.
"seek out the HoP" = break in to his office

"minimum of one" = chef gets locked out of the kitchen

Interesting idea, but needs a rethink methinks
Yeah, not a fan of this. On lowpop it's possible that the entire station could just get screwed with little ways to get around it.
Also people suddenly getting security access or someone vital to the station like HoS losing access unless you accounted for that

If we need to give HoP something to do id be more down with paperwork or something to make the station money in some way
I think the main problem people have are the access removal.

Why don't we make it so people get randlomly 1-2 accesses? They get no info, but suddenly the clown finds out they got security access now. That sounds like fun.
(10-14-2022, 08:38 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: suddenly the clown finds out they got security access now. That sounds like fun.

But how is it fun for security
Valid criticisms, most of which I expected.

(10-14-2022, 05:20 PM)Ikea Wrote: This event just doesnt seem fun to deal with, this event can easily happen when there's literally no way for individuals to properly recover for it (see how often caps and hops are just missing on classic rounds). Getting fucked over by rng and now your round is severely tampered with no method of recourse just doesnt seem good, having to hack open your workplace and leave it open because hop was missing and captain is off in space I dont think is ideal gameplay.

I'm with you on the fact that Captain / HoP may be missing and that could severely hinder your round enjoyment. This is perhaps not part of the PR, but I'm planning changes to increase HoP presence, perhaps even adding a HoP aide to make sure the office is always filled. Though, I'm wondering if the effect would be more okay if it was temporary, and the card re-enables the access portion after a while.

(10-14-2022, 05:30 PM)Oremir Wrote: This sounds like a really good way to get stuck in your/a departement out of your control and get frustrated. Not a fan.

You aren't wholly incorrect, but doesn't the same apply to other events? If the ion storm cuts your department and you can't open doors, or god forbid, a meteor smashes in and now you have to call Engineering. I'd love to hear why you think this is less acceptable.

(10-14-2022, 07:01 PM)Victoriae Wrote: "seek out the HoP" = break in to his office

"minimum of one" = chef gets locked out of the kitchen

Interesting idea, but needs a rethink methinks

Personally, I do think it's fun to have chaotic things happen and for instance, have to bolt open the kitchen temporarily because you have no access to it as a chef. There are a variety of ways to get around the limitation, either by doing it yourself or asking for assistance. But I'm totally down with a rethink, up and including the idea of just keeping the name scramble and getting rid of the access manipulation.

(10-14-2022, 07:13 PM)Bigbro175 Wrote: Yeah, not a fan of this. On lowpop it's possible that the entire station could just get screwed with little ways to get around it.

Currently it's set to 5, but I think balancing it around the amount of players present in a given round could be an easy fix to this problem.

(10-14-2022, 08:13 PM)Cal Wrote: Also people suddenly getting security access or someone vital to the station like HoS losing access unless you accounted for that

If we need to give HoP something to do id be more down with paperwork or something to make the station money in some way

I did indeed account for HoS access, at least when it comes to armory and some such, though I can make the limitations more restricted, so that no individual gains access to Security either, and ensuring that HoS retains all of his access at all times. I was very wary that the "gains random access" portion of the effect is being scrutinized, as it's a fun effect but can very quickly spiral into chaos. Even if you aren't aware of which access you gained, it could definitely cause people to bump into every door on the station to check which access they gained, so maybe I should avoid handing out anything that could be potentially harmful, such as AI Upload, Captain's Quarters or Security, etc.
Sounds funny to me. Mildly annoying, like most other random events, but that's not a bad thing. No worse than a spatial tear blocking the only exit out of a room.
I like this idea, sounds like it would add some shenanigans
would be worried about Sudden AI access or Cap Qrtr access since that almost never goes well when hop adds it anyways. Dont care about sec access being added. Seems fun otherwise.
Eh, we could use more randomness and less predictability.

Is it a pain to deal with? Maybe it is, but not everything needs to be convenient and easily handled.
We're on a space station, there is radiation, we use electronic scanners... it completely and totally fits within the expectations of the world the game is built around.

The only two things I'd blacklist are security equipment and maxsec.
Against in it's current state as Ion Storms are ALREADY A HUGE HAMPER ON THE SHIFT!
Doors breaking down and shocked, AI getting new laws from not that bad to "SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"
APC's out of order and needing engineers/sec/AI to reset and fix it.. sometimes in the dark...

It's very chaotic and if you miss a spot you can go again.. it's even more annoying if it happens twice in a row... with in between being explosives going off with breaches.
So now everyone is already fixing it or trying ot leave and an Ion storm makes the AI and borgs go crazy again and the doors and APCs are on the fritz again.

So now on top of that every ID is scrambled too, makes the HoP have too much work on his plate.

So what do I suggest insted? Add several tools to stream line this prospect.

The following devices "NEEDED" to be added before even pushing this PR foward:
- Door Breaker. A tool to break open any door in case of emergency. Be it bolted or not. (thus welding is needed to fight off this one and also ends welding wars and more) It's found only in the CE's office. (Can also be a fun item antags want to obtain over an Emag)
Item has an action bar though. But it is faster then rewelding doors and causing hacking wars. This thing alone is needed for this ID scrambling too.

- ID reset reader. A device that resets the ID to it's 1st state.
So the HoP doesn't have to be consoling all day, but can just walk around and reset the IDs to normal again. Of course blank and new cards will be worth nothing and still need to be console updated. But this will save the HoP a huuuuge headache or anyone else who wants to get it from his office.
Also now if this problem happens while the HoP , Cap and HoS are missing... the crew ain't SoL as they can just take the resetter and fix things.

And badabing badaboom we got the two new tools on top.. one that can spice up antag's way of approach and have engineering deal with "Door wars" easier.
And a device that will help against ID scrambling.