Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
[CLOSED PR] Add new trigger to ion storm to scramble ID cards
(10-15-2022, 06:50 PM)Sord213 Wrote: Sounds funny to me. Mildly annoying, like most other random events, but that's not a bad thing. No worse than a spatial tear blocking the only exit out of a room.

The difference is that for a worst case spatial tear you can wait, for a worst case apc turning off you can hack it, if you can no longer access your department for the rest of your shift and the people who are very often gone or dead are gone or dead, you just cant access it and theres nothing you can do about it. The only things that can be done are things that will make everyone else in your department hate you such as hacking the door open.
until the hop stops vanishing from the face of the earth post 20 minutes into the round and the captain has incentive to help the crew, this type of event seems very annoying to deal with as an average crew member and would just result in increase of broken windows and doors, hacked machines, or witchhunts for whoever had id console access
See, I think the problem is door access is too material. It effects your resources as a player. If something should get scrambled it should be more a matter of pride to have it fixed. Something like, your ID name gets scrambled up into something goofy, or your job assignment gets modified. Dan Dingo the Security Officer becomes Danumus Bo Banamus the Head of Janitors.
(10-16-2022, 10:08 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Against in it's current state as Ion Storms are ALREADY A HUGE HAMPER ON THE SHIFT!
Doors breaking down and shocked, AI getting new laws from not that bad to "SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"
APC's out of order and needing engineers/sec/AI to reset and fix it.. sometimes in the dark...

It's very chaotic and if you miss a spot you can go again.. it's even more annoying if it happens twice in a row... with in between being explosives going off with breaches.
So now everyone is already fixing it or trying ot leave and an Ion storm makes the AI and borgs go crazy again and the doors and APCs are on the fritz again.

So now on top of that every ID is scrambled too, makes the HoP have too much work on his plate.

So what do I suggest insted? Add several tools to stream line this prospect.

The following devices "NEEDED" to be added before even pushing this PR foward:
- Door Breaker. A tool to break open any door in case of emergency. Be it bolted or not. (thus welding is needed to fight off this one and also ends welding wars and more) It's found only in the CE's office. (Can also be a fun item antags want to obtain over an Emag)
Item has an action bar though. But it is faster then rewelding doors and causing hacking wars. This thing alone is needed for this ID scrambling too.

- ID reset reader. A device that resets the ID to it's 1st state.
So the HoP doesn't have to be consoling all day, but can just walk around and reset the IDs to normal again. Of course blank and new cards will be worth nothing and still need to be console updated. But this will save the HoP a huuuuge headache or anyone else who wants to get it from his office.
Also now if this problem happens while the HoP , Cap and HoS are missing... the crew ain't SoL as they can just take the resetter and fix things.

And badabing badaboom we got the two new tools on top.. one that can spice up antag's way of approach and have engineering deal with "Door wars" easier.
And a device that will help against ID scrambling.

Very solid points, I was considering making this part of it's own event in the first place, but opted for ion storm because of thematics. But perhaps separating it into it's own event could be better? It would mean there's less overwhelming stuff to deal with and it gets weighed against other events, rather than being part of the event that causes problems. Only issue is, I wouldn't know what event that could be, maybe a virus that messes with data, but then how'd it get on the ID? Via PDA? I don't want to cause people to metagame an event by never slotting it into a PDA, etc.

As for the door breaker, that's a cool idea that I could see used that plays well into the "engineers need more tools to play with". I wouldn't even limit it to CE, I'd hand it out to engineers in general. Then that'd give them an additional problem to solve on the station. Alternatively, why not make crowbaring open a door be available while a door is powered, but it being an action that just takes a real long time, but you still need insulated gloves or you'll be stunned out of it?

As for the ID reset reader, this was discussed on Discord I believe, and people were of the opinion it could make HoP even more obsolete, though I like the idea in general. Maybe it could be a vendor machine similar to the ATM and costs money to use (this would require a refactor of the banking system), or takes really long, to still give people a reason to prefer HoP.

(10-16-2022, 10:16 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: See, I think the problem is door access is too material. It effects your resources as a player. If something should get scrambled it should be more a matter of pride to have it fixed. Something like, your ID name gets scrambled up into something goofy, or your job assignment gets  modified. Dan Dingo the Security Officer becomes Danumus Bo Banamus the Head of Janitors.

Absolutely love the idea of also messing up the job assignment, should definitely add that feature. My issue is that from what I understand, this is largely an RP thing though, as on classic, people seem too focused on metagaming to care if their name is "Scrumpus Bababumpus", in fact they'd probably already be named that in the first place.

Please also note that currently, the ID mechanism is not only a matter of pride, but also material. Names are intrinsically tied to bank accounts, meaning if your name changes, unless you also change the bank account, you can't use it anymore. But we can't change bank account names, meaning you'd either be stuck called "Morg Borg" or be unable to access your bank account, not a good outcome. Currently the names are not being randomized by that anyway (though that could be a fun probability), but rather radio scrambled like the AI laws, because I wanted to remain on brand. But perhaps changing the event to be a malicious virus by some trickster as mentioned above could also allow for this to be a more feasible name change, because I absolutely think having wacky job titles like "Security of Personnel" or "Barbotanist" could add rather than subtract.

Luckily I'm planning to refactor the banking system anyway at some point, but it's still worth pointing out in it's current state.
Meta gaming isn’t all classic does. We do fun gimmicks, as well as our jobs. I like the sound of this but do worry about the addition of accesses. Maybe I’m in the minority of this but I would support just removal of accesses first, as somebody that likes to keep a tight ship as captain.
(10-17-2022, 02:05 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Very solid points, I was considering making this part of it's own event in the first place, but opted for ion storm because of thematics. But perhaps separating it into it's own event could be better? It would mean there's less overwhelming stuff to deal with and it gets weighed against other events, rather than being part of the event that causes problems. Only issue is, I wouldn't know what event that could be, maybe a virus that messes with data, but then how'd it get on the ID? Via PDA? I don't want to cause people to metagame an event by never slotting it into a PDA, etc.

As for the door breaker, that's a cool idea that I could see used that plays well into the "engineers need more tools to play with". I wouldn't even limit it to CE, I'd hand it out to engineers in general. Then that'd give them an additional problem to solve on the station. Alternatively, why not make crowbaring open a door be available while a door is powered, but it being an action that just takes a real long time, but you still need insulated gloves or you'll be stunned out of it?

As for the ID reset reader, this was discussed on Discord I believe, and people were of the opinion it could make HoP even more obsolete, though I like the idea in general. Maybe it could be a vendor machine similar to the ATM and costs money to use (this would require a refactor of the banking system), or takes really long, to still give people a reason to prefer HoP.

How is resetting IDs as a device making the HoP have no point? It's the HOP'S TOOL IN THIS CASE! it streamlines their work after such an event.
Cause other wise people will have to get in line to fix their IDs and sec will be unable to do much.
It's total chaos and having the HoP having to fill in it by hand over and over and over and over and over and over and over... is not what the HoP is for.
As I note from other HoP players and people who get in line with the HoP for ID changes... they do not like being stuck there for a long while.

When a Que is formed... HoP has more work but every player in the que is "basicly" out of the game. They can only interact with people in the que or their own close surroundings. And trust me it's frustrating to stand in line during an emergency.
This ID resetter is a HoP device. IN THEIR OFFICE... Similiarly like the Access pro. It's NOT suppose to take away the HoP's job after it.. but streamline it. If anyone on Discord says: "It makes the job obselete" .... Guess what... I think most HoP players would love this device during this event.

As for the scrambling... combine it with the magnetic field event. As magnets can scramble chips.. so when you get magnetized, so does your ID.
People will que up at the HoP and HILARITY OCCURS with people setting off their magnetic fields. Though I think certain ID's need to be protected over all.
You said captian/HoP are protected but in my opinion... security officers too need to be protected, while funny security's access is different, if security suffers you will know antagonists will riot and abuse this or worst... shitters will abuse it totally. The other heads maybe at best.
Rest is cheap materials....
This way when it happens and people get stuck, it's security's JOB to get em out and to the HoP.

The door breaker was just an idea to add to the Ion storm problem if ID's conk out too. If not added.. the door breaker idea is not needed, but can still be a fun add in general when an antag is doing the ole "hacking door wars with welding again" Insted you use the door breaker as a tool to bust in.
Or the reverse happens where an antag gets bolted in but they have the door breaker and just break out again. Forcing security not to solely rely on the AI bolting doors.

As for the rest of making it an own event that works too, but I think it fits well with magnetic fields, both scientifically and for maximum hilarity.
I've been thinking about this PR the last few days and I think I was a little harsh and should have provided better feedback.

First, pitching the idea as 'something for the HoP to fix' clearly got a backlash. Let's be real: Ion Storm hits 40 minutes in, there's like an 80% chance HoP is doing whatever wherever god-knows-what. Framing it as a new ion storm whacky-thing-it-does got far more positive feedback. 

Second, I do genuinely think this will negatively newer players who don't know how to fix things. Security officer gets hit? Already has lots of access, won't care. Botanist gets hit? Lost access to his workplace, probably doesn't know why, probably doesn't know how to fix it.

Consider having the ion storm instead target door access requirements (req_access) - instead of security's front door opening to security, now it only opens to the rancher! Turns the issue from a personal issue to a problem solving issue. By making it affect a whole team you can at least decide on a solution together ("Got tools?" "yeah"). 

Also would give HoP's door access changer (AccessPro) ([Image: AccessProSec.png]) an actual purpose beyond messing around. (Not that they will start using it...)

Third, scrambling names is a good idea. Easy and harmless way of messing with people.

I do want to see this idea come into the game somehow, so please don't throw it in the trash.
(10-19-2022, 09:24 PM)Victoriae Wrote: I've been thinking about this PR the last few days and I think I was a little harsh and should have provided better feedback.

First, pitching the idea as 'something for the HoP to fix' clearly got a backlash. Let's be real: Ion Storm hits 40 minutes in, there's like an 80% chance HoP is doing whatever wherever god-knows-what. Framing it as a new ion storm whacky-thing-it-does got far more positive feedback. 

Second, I do genuinely think this will negatively newer players who don't know how to fix things. Security officer gets hit? Already has lots of access, won't care. Botanist gets hit? Lost access to his workplace, probably doesn't know why, probably doesn't know how to fix it.

Consider having the ion storm instead target door access requirements (req_access) - instead of security's front door opening to security, now it only opens to the rancher! Turns the issue from a personal issue to a problem solving issue. By making it affect a whole team you can at least decide on a solution together ("Got tools?" "yeah"). 

Also would give HoP's door access changer (AccessPro) ([Image: AccessProSec.png]) an actual purpose beyond messing around. (Not that they will start using it...)

Third, scrambling names is a good idea. Easy and harmless way of messing with people.

I do want to see this idea come into the game somehow, so please don't throw it in the trash.

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. It's definitely something I've come to notice, people are oftentimes weirdly adamant about what changes are okay and which aren't, and branding seems to make most of the difference.

As for newer players, yes, it obviously impacts newer players. So do other things in the game, though. If you mess with access to doors and the rancher suddenly doesn't know how to open his door anymore, how is that any different from him losing access? The problem is the exact same, he'll have to go and ask someone else. And having to reverse engineer which job opens which door sounds potentially more frustrating than simply having to get your accesses fixed, not to mention that both of the solutions involve the HoP, so this fact remains unchanged.

Anyhow, I don't mind scrapping the access part of the PR for now and resubmitting it with only the name scrambling. It's not entirely harmless though, as previously mentioned, because banks are tied to ID names, so if your bank account name differs from the ID you're using, it won't allow you to access it. And with the current state of banking, nobody's able to manipulate bank access either, so while I could fix this issue by changing bank + ID name, reverting the name on the ID now means they won't be able to access their bank again.

I'm going to be pushing some bank fixes first and revisit this PR at a later point in time, but I think the ID shenanigans are a lot of harmless fun indeed.