Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spicing up Genetics.
(10-13-2022, 07:01 AM)Flaborized Wrote: Harvesting bonus research material currently basically all ties into interacting with other Actual Players. Previously you could get them from activators used on monkeys, but that was removed (and subsequently the amount gained from activators increased) and the job became a lot more interactive and fun. The idea of being able to generate research points by hurting someone and then curing them with a functionally infinite resource I feel pulls it away from the clean design where you're incentivized to give people mutations they want either via activator or gene booth.

I also feel that if you play efficiently you can plow through the genetics tech tree shockingly quickly and consistently. Advanced mutation research is available after researching 20 mutations, which hastens things nicely, and if you can get high complexity DNA you can finish everything super super quickly. Once you disintegrate the research budget and expend all of the points you can out of your own mutations, actually going *outside the lab* and giving people cool mutations they have can bring it heaps and heaps of research points while you're waiting for the tech tree to tick down.

I think this is a very fun playstyle and works well, since interacting with other crewmembers is much more interesting than Not Doing That, so it's good that the current optimal paths require it mostly. I'm against adding a means to generate points by damaging people and then healing them or by using corpses since I think it goes against the current design ideas of the job, but I don't represent anybody but myself and this Gaming Opinion does not represent the admin team's thoughts in any way. Genes tied to exploration stuff could be cool if fleshed out though imo

While some of these changes are great and thanks for adding things I didn't know when I made this. (THANKS! gave me more info)
My problem remains the same.. "Downtime and unable to do anything else"
And the player who is in the pod is stuck too. Genecists wanna move around more or have people come in and don't feel like they have to be in a pod for 5-10 mins to get the research done.

Quote:Mirodir

-Yea pretty much 90% of the post-

Removal of the pod is a risky thing, but I like this idea of testing things for this.
I like the idea of finding out things...
But I love the suggestion that Flaborized gave with you draw some blood from a target and use that to research DNA.
Sure it's limited at that range then having someone in the pod, but... now the genecist can examine samples.. and the player doesn't have to stay in a pod.

I think Mirodir, My idea number 3 and Glamurio may have a fun revamping for Genecists... but also leaving the OLD style intact.

Messages In This Thread
Spicing up Genetics. - by Kotlol - 10-13-2022, 05:38 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by George_Manning - 10-13-2022, 05:44 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Kotlol - 10-13-2022, 06:01 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Flaborized - 10-13-2022, 07:01 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Kotlol - 10-13-2022, 11:58 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by glowbold - 10-13-2022, 08:49 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Glamurio - 10-13-2022, 10:05 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Mirodir - 10-13-2022, 10:21 AM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Chomusuke - 10-14-2022, 04:45 PM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Kotlol - 10-15-2022, 02:46 PM
RE: Spicing up Genetics. - by Glamurio - 10-15-2022, 04:10 PM