Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ape-people mutant race
people like to play monkeys and sometimes i do too, but some of the drawbacks are a little too much for me. so i think the best way to achieve a happy medium is a mutant race inspired by the 1968 planet of the apes. or the apex monkey people from starbound. only thing i can't really think of are reasonable drawbacks for playing one

pros: can understand (but not speak) monkeyspeech, extra healing from eating bananas, once every 10 minutes can squeeze themselves into a mail chute
cons: has tail, other npc monkeys might become hostile due to feeling territorial? maybe? presence of fur makes fire last longer+do more damage?
related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA
Quote:We're currently working on refactoring mutantraces on the backend (and possibly renaming them) to fix some of the jank and the insane hoops you need to jump through to render them (and humans in general, really). There's always a lot of buzz around making mutantraces so this is a General Alert that if you code anything currently you might have to redo it for the updated version of mutantraces; additionally we would Really prefer if you didn't prep some bighuge PR with a new mutantrace right now as you'll have to recode a lot of it.
Just walk around wearing the monkey suit
(10-10-2022, 02:42 PM)Ikea Wrote: Just walk around wearing the monkey suit

the tall (monkey suit sprite) monkey is cursed
I fear this would be an incentive for "monkey sympathizer" gameplay. And frankly, this most often end up straight up griefy and not really interesting RP-wise.

Then without major downside to the mutantrace, this would lead to a high pickrate of these apes (we got many mutantrace players running around on RP, because they are too generic).

In my opinion, both of these things together wouldn't really create something desirable.
(10-10-2022, 10:49 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I fear this would be an incentive for "monkey sympathizer" gameplay. And frankly, this most often end up straight up griefy and not really interesting RP-wise.

Then without major downside to the mutantrace, this would lead to a high pickrate of these apes (we got many mutantrace players running around on RP, because they are too generic).

In my opinion, both of these things together wouldn't really create something desirable.

Guilty on that, but I just like being a roach even now their rad immunity is gone :P
Though I might start playing bovine again...

Eitherway.. mutant races mechanicly are different from normal humans.
Some have special abilities that are silly.
Others have different stats.
Others are the Pug.

It is true people who go "MONKEH" can be prone to silliness. Same as clown players, cause they are silly....
There is a reason we don't have more then 3 clowns on a station... I remember when I did a clown cult as chaplain and well... it went south to rioting insted of protesting when they banned clowning on station. (I wasn't an antag)
(10-10-2022, 10:49 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I fear this would be an incentive for "monkey sympathizer" gameplay. And frankly, this most often end up straight up griefy and not really interesting RP-wise.

i can't exactly say i've witnessed a "monkey sympathizer", let alone one that was detrimental to the round/crew/etc. another reason why i suggested it is because i'm not a really big fan of the other available mutant races. and i'd say being extra flammable is a significant enough downside. try picking the human torch trait and you'll see what i mean