Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round type: Quarantine
The idea behind having a potential chemistry treatment is that the station can sort of try to fight the disease, even though chemistry/barman/botanists may be awful at chemistry and "Good chemists" will break in demanding they take over. Basically making science really hard to do because everyone wants to A. Be the first to not die, and B. be the hero who discovers the cure.

Combining this with the buying the cure from QM, and everyone will be swarmed in the panic.

Also one of the potential effects should be severe hallucinations, combined with eventual death.

Convince someone that someone else stapled them and you will have murder due to the disease causing damage, and the hallucinations showing blood.

Everyone goes on a man hunt for a hallucinated Jay Wolff and mistakenly murders the real one.
I dislike the idea of a round in which there isn't a clear enemy. It kind of reminds me of Blob. Maybe there should also be a Carrier. He is essentially a traitor, but he spawns with a pathogen syringe that infects himself. Of course, he's immune so he merely carries the disease. However, he is assigned to use the disease to distract the crew while he completes his objectives.

In response NT quarantines the Station and the crew must survive. If they find the Carrier, they could robust him to death, or, if they're smart, they lock him in a scanner and create injectors for the strain that gives him immunity to the disease. This rewards a non-lethal crew and gives them another alternative to gradually murdering each other for the shipments.

The downside of being a traitor with a totally panicked crew is that observant players will never see you show symptoms and you'll be very limited in space travel. Plus side, it's doubtful crew will even care if you raid the Armory or something. They're far to busy curing themselves, after all.

I'm afraid it might get a little repetitive though. Might want to make it fairly rare like Spy.

atomic1fire Wrote:Everyone goes on a man hunt for a hallucinated Jay Wolff and mistakenly murders the real one.
Who probably also stapled everyone.
This sounds like a neat idea but given the climate of space station 13 I feel as though most, if not all quarantine rounds would devolve into people murdering each other simply because they can, aside from a guys here and there that decide to band together and help each other out. The second you allow people to accomplish goals "by any means necessary", most of them will probably resort to toolbox bludgeoning. For this to work, there'd need to be some way to prevent rounds from turning into deathmatch.
Why not limit it to admin bus rounds like zombies.

Have the biohazard eventually trigger the fire alarms, red lights (The ones that normally tell you if the power is out), and pick some of the worst possible symptoms to inflict on the crew. Basically eventually the station locks itself and maybe some stuff with atmos starts behaving badly. Where did all the air go? Why is the room cold?

Make it "feel" like a real disease outbreak.

Also maybe some dudes end up coughing up blood or screaming for no apparent reason.

The Atmos "Sucking all the air out of the room and turning it into a tiled vacuum" might be a atmos lagging thing so it's probably out of the question, but it would be cool as heck for people to realize they have to fight over emergency air tanks and oxygen pills.
On the subject of making a cure, there could be several combinations that are not possible normally that would happen now. And several points where the mixture says something like "This could be it!"
That way there are several fake cures that could each do something terrible to the person injected with it.
And if we could implement the test chamber to this whole situation, that would be neat.
Like if the side effect of the fake cure would be so devastating that everyone around him would suffer some terrible symptoms or speed up the virus though its stages.
Plus now you have to get test subjects and will have to expect to go through quite a few of them even when you do find something promising.
So people who volunteer would not just stick around because they'll surely be the ones who get cured first, since they have a chance of dying in a terrible and painful way. And that alone would be incentive enough for someone to be a test subject.
BoJackson Wrote:This sounds like a neat idea but given the climate of space station 13 I feel as though most, if not all quarantine rounds would devolve into people murdering each other simply because they can, aside from a guys here and there that decide to band together and help each other out. The second you allow people to accomplish goals "by any means necessary", most of them will probably resort to toolbox bludgeoning. For this to work, there'd need to be some way to prevent rounds from turning into deathmatch.
There already is a way to prevent rounds from turning into deathmatch, which is the fact that in order to secure a reliable supply of the medicine you need to stay in one spot, because that's where it shows up. People can deathmatch all they want but if they can't control QM or accomplish syndie objectives then they're gonna die off within 15 minutes. People who team up are almost always going to be tough enough to oust anyone who tries to hold down the fort by themselves, and trying to just kill as many people as possible is only sustainable for a little while.

But if you want to keep things from getting silly, how about this: The medicine is delivered in autoinjectors that you need to jab into yourself. They're very fragile, however. They can be set on fire, explosions will shatter them, and if you have one in your hand and get disarmed/knocked down, it breaks. So you have to be fairly conservative when you attack if you don't want to fuck everyone over.
Dauntasa Wrote:if you have one in your hand and get disarmed/knocked down, it breaks
I want that to happen to beakers and drinking glasses
Kaet Wrote:...several combinations that are not possible normally that would happen now... if we could implement the test chamber to this whole situation, that would be neat.
Like if the side effect of the fake cure would be so devastating that everyone around him would suffer some terrible symptoms or speed up the virus though its stages.
... people who volunteer would not just stick around because they'll surely be the ones who get cured first, since they have a chance of dying in a terrible and painful way.

I really like this idea. Currently the only time people use the test chamber is when they hook up a plasma tank to it and shove people into it via the duct. To melt them. Making it a gamble to be a test subject sounds great, couple this with the randomized recipes and it could be really fun. Don't know if I would personally include 2 items from chem, botany, medical, AND chef, but a way for people to work together would be cool, to an extent. Maybe have three possible Cure Serums of varying effectiveness from cure, to nothing, to pain (or advancing the virus). Have each recipes ingredients hinted at (IE "This serum uses 2 common chemicals found in most hospitals, an acid, and an organic fruit." ) at the beginning of the round, and have the crew scurrying about trying to shove bananas into beakers of sulphuric acid, mannitol, and styptic powder. One would need to make sure that these hints are vague and can mean any number of ingredients, and not something along the lines of "This serum uses a cardiac stimulant" which would obviously translate to "Put epinephrine into a beaker." I think this would be an extremely fun game mode.
It would be a cool gimmick round, but I just don't see this being entertaining in the long run. After a week people would know exactly what to do to cure the virus despite it being random, and it would get old drinking random shit to see what cures it and what makes it worse. Plus, this doesn't sound very fun for the regular crew. Assistants would have nothing to do other than be test subjects, which would consist of standing around and letting people inject you and seeing if you explode or are cured.

I mean, we basically had this when virology was a thing except it can happen during any round-type and it was just as fun. As soon as the warning comes up there is a mad rush to medbay as people fight for the last syringe of cure.