Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Sawfly code refractor
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This PR cleans up a lot of the code for sawflies, ports them to their own DMI, and adds full support for player-controlled sawflies. It was originally ghost sawflies, but I'd rather their code be reworked so I can add ghost sawflies later rather than have both actions in a single PR

Why's this needed?
Lays a lot of foundation work for planned features, removes some of the jank for sawflies.

Changelog
Code:
(u) NightmareChamillian
(+) Sawflies have had some significant changes to their grenade/deployment code. Please report any bugs.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
It seems neat, but I feel like there are a few things that have to happen for it to meet its goals and not be overpowered:

1: Player sawflies need to be able to talk locally and to the general channel as well. If their only channel of communication is on the syndie channel, then they wont really be able to interact meaningfully with the crew aside from "make spaceman horizontal," which would be less than ideal on the RP servers.

2: They need to not be able to do anything else that AI sawflies cannot do. So no piloting pods, dragging or pushing things, interacting with devices, etc. All of that would turn them from cannon fodder dps swarms into podnerds or TTV deployers. See handspiders.

3: They probably should be higher TC cost instead of made with SICCs. Anyone with access to a robotics fab (roboticists, quartermasters, their superiors, as well as anyone else if debris field rng cooperates.) can easily get their hands on as many SICC units as they want, meaning that they'd have no reason to ever use AI sawflies. Maybe if you have an inactive player sawfly you could stick someone's brain in it to respawn them as the sawfly (like a syndie borg frame) or just use it in-hand in order to poll ghosts to respawn into it like normal.
Player sawflies shouldnt be able to talk to everyone because theyre sawflies. The primary purpose of a sawfly is for it to attack people, I dont want my sawfly going off and having a tea party. The sawflies arent the source of the interaction, they are the interaction, they're a tool as part of the story, I think making them mechanically primarily focused on crew go horizontal would be a good way of reinforcing that.

The main reason why you wouldnt want to use SICC units is reliability. Player controlled sawflies arent remarkably better, and normal sawflies will always behave the same. I dont think player controlled sawflies would be remarkably stronger to the point to where they need greater cost.