Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
character-based job rolling?
so an idea i had that would be most at home on RP:

setting it so that certain jobs will load a certain character profile.

ie i have Bobson Dugnutt set to bartender and Todd Bonzalez set as chef

if i roll chef, i would spawn as only todd bonzalez, and never as bobson dugnutt and the inverse would be true; if i roll chef i would only roll as bobson dugnutt and never todd bonzalez.
Ive actually thought about this exact idea, im totally down it would be cool
I have recently thought about this too. I have thought about wanting this because it can be strange to have a character you feel just doesn't work as well in that department

The only problem I can foresee from this is the possibility that people who normally play security or something may have a character that only ever roles antag unless security is full. Some people could pick up on that and meta game it but that is against the rules so...shouldn't really impact a decision like this IMO. That and it is already a thing with security players playing security in general and suddenly having their sec character roll antag somewhere else in some other department
yeah like scaltra says there's some Metagamey Potential with intuiting who rolled antag based on which character they're playing... additionally this seems like it might get rid of the potential to have multiple characters that can do the same job which makes me a lil sad to think about. I like when characters are able to experience different mundane job things and approach and react to things differently
(10-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: yeah like scaltra says there's some Metagamey Potential with intuiting who rolled antag based on which character they're playing... additionally this seems like it might get rid of the potential to have multiple characters that can do the same job which makes me a lil sad to think about. I like when characters are able to experience different mundane job things and approach and react to things differently

I don't  see why it would necessarily need to stop you from having multi role characters. I figured it would be more like an optional thing for each character profile/  setting you set. Deciding whatever way you want it to work. I know I also enjoy doing that sometimes so it would be quite sad if that was the case.
(10-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: yeah like scaltra says there's some Metagamey Potential with intuiting who rolled antag based on which character they're playing... additionally this seems like it might get rid of the potential to have multiple characters that can do the same job which makes me a lil sad to think about. I like when characters are able to experience different mundane job things and approach and react to things differently

you can say that about most anything, i don't think that detracts from the concept. personally as a mentor the in-round information never particular bothers me and detracts from my enjoyment of the round, even on rp. and besides, something like that already happens in a way. if somebody is a security main and suddenly you see them in a non sec role...it doesn't take much for the mind to wander and think. and lastly this would be an entirely optional feature to use if you want to just play 1 character for other jobs
I really wish I had this for my character “Syndicate Chef” but then I don’t roll chef and then it’s really awkward as I make a territory war with the current chef
like this idea but nooo clue how to implement.

sec showing up as nonsec is already metagamed, not sure what else there is to lose
Yeah this is a great idea but i'm not sure how it could work. Seems like a nightmare to code

That's already a thing. One of my characters always rolls security or detective, and whenever I'm detective, that means I rolled antag, since antag rolling happens before regular rolling. But people don't necessarily know that and they also don't have to act on it. It doesn't really matter if you know if someone's an antag, on RP you pretend like you don't. And this is clearly an RP-centric request.
Perhaps allowing the creation of entirely different character for an antagonist roll can fix the metagame issue.
This sounds like it's just going to make metacliques stronger
(10-06-2022, 08:31 AM)Cal Wrote: This sounds like it's just going to make metacliques stronger

the metaclique boogieman strikes again
I'll be honest it's not bad flavoring. Some people in RP want their charaters to be only that...

That said.. I keep my charaters multi-factet....

So if I get something unexpected I can adapt.. MOST OF THE TIME!
Really this would only affect sec mains, as otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell if the person is an antag or not, because sec (and captain on RP) are the only jobs that can’t roll antag.

Sec mains already get found out because, well… they roll a job that’s not security.

I can’t think of any way this would encrouage metacliquing more than current systems allow, or reveal any information that is not already available