Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
character-based job rolling?
Agreed with George here, can already tell if a sec main is antagonist if they're not sec
If the problem of metacliqueing prevents so many fun or useful features from making it in, then that problem should be fixed instead
There are very few people who exclusively and only play security.

You really should just be willing to roll with what you get tbh. Worst case scenario you can walk to HoP and get a job change.
I am a det main and when I am a detective I tend to still play security, but also be the biggest and aggresive security jerk of them all.
Depending on the size of security, size of crew and if other antags are active.

If I get det antag, I tend to keep it toned down for the fact I can escalate the station's problems in a HEARTBEAT from any location.
I have lethals, I have stuns, I have Det_nets, I have camera access, I have my gadget hat.... I have so many ways of doing things... I tend to avoid escalation and leave other antags to do what they want and respond to that.
If it's something big like bombing the station, I'll go aggresiver on any crimes and even kill the other antag when I see them do their stuff.
If they ain't doing anything, I start setting up hints I am an antagonist about to do bad things.
If anyone decides to mess with me... You just got yourself targeted by me.

But I feel like this meta cliqueing and sec maining has derailed this topic abit.
The suggestion is okay, but even I am against implementation cause it's more fun to be a crewmate that goes around.
Infact the rules kinda imply you aren't suppose to know stuff from previous lives. (And shifts sorta indirectly)
(10-07-2022, 04:59 AM)Cal Wrote: There are very few people who exclusively and only play security.

You really should just be willing to roll with what you get tbh. Worst case scenario you can walk to HoP and get a job change.

They’re not saying that you shouldn’t accept your job roll, in fact picking a character that fits that job would make people more willing to accept the job they are given. It’s just awkward when I name myself George Sciencing for a round and roll security officer. Plus, the “just get the job your character wants from the HoP ignores the fact that there is only one bartender, chef, Medical Director, etc. etc.

I can understand disliking the idea due to amount of code it would involve, but can’t find any reason to deny the principle.

(Sorry if this comes off as aggressive, I am hungry)
I want this not because to avoid getting sec metagamed, but so I can make funny characters specific to the department, like botanist "Captain Weedsmoker" or chef "Syndicate Chef" or whatever other bullshit I can come up with.

If this were to be implemented, maybe it could be added as "Character 1-5" as an option in the job preferences, if you did not get your favorite job, it would default to medium job list, which you could put "Character 1-5" and switch to that. Could be buggy but it's the most intuitive method I can think of to implement this. Like you could set security to favorite, and if you don't roll security or if you roll antagonist, it will switch to whatever other character you selected.
(10-07-2022, 04:01 AM)George_Manning Wrote: Really this would only affect sec mains, as otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell if the person is an antag or not, because sec (and captain on RP) are the only jobs that can’t roll antag.

Sec mains already get found out because, well… they roll a job that’s not security.

I can’t think of any way this would encrouage metacliquing more than current systems allow, or reveal any information that is not already available

I second this really. Rule breaking shouldn't be the consideration when it comes QoL changes or balance changes for the most part.
I've wanted this feature for many years. +1
I really like this but I am struggling to picture what the UI would actually look like