Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.15 Average
[CLOSED PR] Gives cooldown to farts and burps
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This pr increases the cooldown for farts and burps to 5 seconds, this does not effect involuntary emoting of these things through things such as chems. The amount of fart gas produced by farting has been multiplied by roughly 5.

Why's this needed?
These sounds are incredibly abrasive and annoying, this makes these sounds less spammable (unless you put in effort to stack a few chems). Also big buff to using food for fart collecting, should hopefully promote chef engineering cooperation or whatever.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Ikea
(*)The cooldown for farts and burps to 5 seconds, this does not effect involuntary emoting of these things through things such as chems. The amount of fart gas produced by farting has been multiplied by roughly 5.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I 1 000 000% support anything reducing the amount of fart content in the game.
Not a fan. Shuttle fart spam still delights me. If it’s really a perceived issue, maybe a slight cooldown of two seconds per fart, but I haven’t noticed it being egregiously bad or annoying.
Not a fan. If you don't like the spam then lower emote volume.
Also not a fan. You should just lower the emote volume, this is unnecessary
Looks good, good shout on not affecting engineering's usage of it
I'm not sure if "just lower the volume" advocates realise it lowers all emotes' volume rather than being individual-emote-tweakable
(10-02-2022, 04:41 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: Looks good, good shout on not affecting engineering's usage of it
I'm not sure if "just lower the volume" advocates realise it lowers all emotes' volume rather than being individual-emote-tweakable

What other emotes have a sound apart from burping and farting? Screaming? If farting annoys you, screaming must annoy you too anyway.
(10-02-2022, 04:49 PM)alexandregtg Wrote: What other emotes have a sound apart from burping and farting? Screaming? If farting annoys you, screaming must annoy you too anyway.

You'd think so but it doesn't
....Did you really...

Come on don't REDUCE the cooldown on farts without considering how that NERF'S fart engines.

IM fine with cooldowns but FARTS and BURPS have an in-game effect. Farts more then Burps.

I am fine with you nerfing the cooldown but then also PR that the potency of the gas from farts is increased....
"This pr increases the cooldown for farts and burps to 5 seconds, this does not effect involuntary emoting of these things through things such as chems. The amount of fart gas produced by farting has been multiplied by roughly 5."
I like to hear it when people scream, I like that feedback when someone snaps, I like to hear when people fart. All that audio feedback I enjoy, I just don't like hearing the same sound over and over again for 5 minutes while my textbar gets high enough to reach heaven then to get denied and get sent back to hell. Farts can still be spammed, you just have to work for it by stacking chems or getting a few buddies to fart with you. Im not fundamentally opposed to reducing the cooldown, however I feel like reducing it reduces the mental effect of it feeling more tedious to spam it (see how the fact that screams and other emotes with a cooldown rarely get spammed despite the fact you have to press less), and also I really like the numbers I settled on for the new fart numbers.
[Image: unknown.png]
I'm not really apart of the community anymore so my input doesn't matter a whole lot, but at first, my gut reaction was negativity. But then I thought about it for a few seconds and I think this PR is fine. Farts get old after a while, and encouraging interaction between the kitchen and engine for fart engines to work is neat.
I feel like farting is part of the culture of ss13, similarly to clowns or "shitcurity"
I can see how it gets old or is offputting to some people. But atleast on main, it's more often used as a greeting, or a way to mock others

See a friend walking by, you mutually fart
Robust somebody, mock them with a fart
Really robust someone, fart atop of their body

Oh and it makes getting ahold of the foul smelling advertisement a pain

Overall this is a pretty large change that I think should be shown outside of github and the forums to the more general playerbase before it is merged
great pr

(10-02-2022, 05:35 PM)eggpielord Wrote: Oh and it makes getting ahold of the foul smelling advertisement a pain

legit concern i guess
code up some flatulative dissonance trait if you're so clearly against it, rather than this unproductive PR.

farts have been a cornerstone representing goon's light-heartedness for longer than the 8 years i've been playing. seeing a new player's delight at mashing the literal fart button still never gets old for me and this pr's only going to make you hate it once every 5 seconds