Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Proposal for a handcuff overhaul, or at least, new special handcuffs
Brick 
Here's what the current handcuffs do: you click on someone with a cuff, depending on whether you are actual sec or not, it is a quick action, then the person who is cuffed is pretty much completely immobilized except for walking and running around. But! If that person resists, they have a lengthy action for removing their own cuff, dropping it on the ground.

Here's what the cuffs I have in mind do: yadda-yadda, you cuff someone, they get immobilized, BUT! They can still interact with most of the station! If they bump doors, they can open it, if they need to switch internals on/off, they can, if they need to use a computer, they can! People have a forehead and a tongue for a reason, after all! But here's the catch: they cannot run nor sprint, after all, they could hit head first on the ground for the lack of balance without arms to use, they cannot enter vehicles, after all, you cannot use your arms, and most importantly, you cannot break free from the handcuffs without external aid, using any kind of spell or syndicate implant!

Alright, this is a pretty drastic change, so I should point out why all of theses proposed changes: the cuffs are really restrictive, but easy to get rid of. This balances everything out, but doesn't make it fun to deal with, both for the cuffer and the cuffee, and makes the fact that you are being cuffed something less hard but annoying to address. The proposal makes cuffs more passive, while letting antags who rely on not being arrested more reliant on theses tricks.

I'd like to hear the opinion of recognized security mains from both RP and Classic on the suggestion, since those people are the ones that hold the most knowledge to give a well-informed opinion over what could be the consequences of this proposal being added to the game.
(10-02-2022, 09:38 AM)Caio029 Wrote: Here's what the current handcuffs do: you click on someone with a cuff, depending on whether you are actual sec or not, it is a quick action, then the person who is cuffed is pretty much completely immobilized except for walking and running around. But! If that person resists, they have a lengthy action for removing their own cuff, dropping it on the ground.

Here's what the cuffs I have in mind do: yadda-yadda, you cuff someone, they get immobilized, BUT! They can still interact with most of the station! If they bump doors, they can open it, if they need to switch internals on/off, they can, if they need to use a computer, they can! People have a forehead and a tongue for a reason, after all! But here's the catch: they cannot run nor sprint, after all, they could hit head first on the ground for the lack of balance without arms to use, they cannot enter vehicles, after all, you cannot use your arms, and most importantly, you cannot break free from the handcuffs without external aid, using any kind of spell or syndicate implant!

Alright, this is a pretty drastic change, so I should point out why all of theses proposed changes: the cuffs are really restrictive, but easy to get rid of. This balances everything out, but doesn't make it fun to deal with, both for the cuffer and the cuffee, and makes the fact that you are being cuffed something less hard but annoying to address. The proposal makes cuffs more passive, while letting antags who rely on not being arrested more reliant on theses tricks.

I'd like to hear the opinion of recognized security mains from both RP and Classic on the suggestion, since those people are the ones that hold the most knowledge to give a well-informed opinion over what could be the consequences of this proposal being added to the game.

You can ironicly use a headset when you are cuffed...
But the reason you can take them off is if a beepsky is going crazy and everyone else is cuffed.... the round would come to an end because the EMAG BEEPSKY got everyone someone how.

DENIED in my opinion.
(10-02-2022, 10:15 AM)Kotlol Wrote: But the reason you can take them off is if a beepsky is going crazy and everyone else is cuffed.... the round would come to an end because the EMAG BEEPSKY got everyone someone how..

Yeah, that's a problem with standardizing this kind of handcuffs, but securitrons don't need handcuffs with this behavior, I mean, the ziptie cuffs already exist, and are pretty much normal cuffs but re-sprited.
If you are truly concerned about decreasing antag mobility shackles are a thing. Orange shoes and handcuffs bam no more running.

But yeah this idea has a lot of super unfun things about it, and a game should always aim to be fun.
HoS RP main here::
Imo this is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, notably because this is basically a worse version of the old bucclecuffing, which was inescapable with another one's help. With this change, anyone cuffed by security will be permanently secure, giving antags 0 chances to escape if they are just cuffed and left alone in the security office.
It has quite a few other bad things,mainly for lowpow, antag kidnappings, as well as the possibility of generally sec being unproffessional leaving you (by malice or not) cuffed in the middle of nowhere.
Also it is just fun to pull a comeback when sec took too much time processing you, and you had the time to break out of cuffs, and it would a shame to take that away.
If there's one niche I'd like to see with cuffs/restraints, it would be more stuff for attaching someone to someone or something else.

A ball and chain shackle where ball slows movement but can be picked up and carried to move quicker.

Handcuffing people to each other, where only one hand is disabled. You could daisy chain people together and then secure them by cuffing yourself at the end of the chain
/shackles clown to hacked custom pie vending machine
Shackle the mime to the clown on top of that, just for kicks.
Heck no. Straightjackets are absolutely atrocious to do to somebody because they cannot escape from them.

Handcuffs being removable by the cuffed forces sec to work with the cuffed. If they don't, they escape, likethey should.
(10-02-2022, 10:23 AM)Caio029 Wrote: Yeah, that's a problem with standardizing this kind of handcuffs, but securitrons don't need handcuffs with this behavior, I mean, the ziptie cuffs already exist, and are pretty much normal cuffs but re-sprited.

ziptie cuffs can be broken out of faster and instantly disintegrate though
There was a reason bucklecuffing was removed in the first place. We don't need to add in bucklecuffing-lite.